• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unusual short skip today

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I had some unusual short skip today. I never never never ever get into Kansas or Oklahoma, but made a contact in Wichita (117), and into Tulsa (42) on .385 lsb today from Fort Worth, Texas. Great conditions, and they were "firsts" for me.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person

I had some unusual short skip today. I never never never ever get into Kansas or Oklahoma, but made a contact in Wichita (117), and into Tulsa (42) on .385 lsb today from Fort Worth, Texas. Great conditions, and they were "firsts" for me.

RT307

I'm surprised I didn't talk to you today 307. I talked to Lubbock, Denton, Tyler, and all around you into Oklahoma and others when the short stuff was rolling. This is Old Grampa and I was on .385, working my Starduster. The frequency was kind of quiet, and not all jammed up with signals like usual. It seemed to me like all the noise of the jam was in the background. I could hear it, but it wasn't dominating my receiver. If a strong signal popped up, you could talk to em' just like they were down the street.

I'm still getting DX from all over the US today and again the band is not just crazy with signals either. It is a rare condition for me, and I've been around two way radio since the '60s.

I talked to Austin today, and both listened and called for both of you.

Yeah Homer, I first heard NB555 in Arkansas. Not sure if he is in NW Arkansas or not, but once I heard Arkansas, I called for you a few times. Didn't get you, but got the Kansas and Oklahoma guys instead. Talked to a WR op named James out of San Diego too, but that is not unusual for me. Short skip directly north has just never happened for me until today, for whatever reason.

RT307

I'm surprised I didn't talk to you today 307. I talked to Lubbock, Denton, Tyler, and all around you into Oklahoma and others when the short stuff was rolling. This is Old Grampa and I was on .385, working my Starduster. The frequency was kind of quiet, and not all jammed up with signals like usual. It seemed to me like all the noise of the jam was in the background. I could hear it, but it wasn't dominating my receiver. If a strong signal popped up, you could talk to em' just like they were down the street.

I'm still getting DX from all over the US today and again the band is not just crazy with signals either. It is a rare condition for me, and I've been around two way radio since the '60s.

What number do you run by, and what state are you in, Marconi? I will listen for you in the future!

RT307

It's been awhile but I had conditions to Cheyenne Wy. which is only 150 miles as the crow goes and it was mobile to mobile at 25 watts SSB.

Conditions

Slowed quite a bit in the evening and were slow this morning. Had one contact into Austion Tex this am, from northern MO.

You guys in the US had short skip, but everyone I hooked up with was in California, 3500 miles from me. Like Marconi, I could hear all of the scramble in the background, but it didn't dominate my receive. California stations and I had a direct hookup,with the only interference being other stations in Calif. It's been like this for three days. Strange what Mother Nature can do.

You guys in the US had short skip, but everyone I hooked up with was in California, 3500 miles from me. Like Marconi, I could hear all of the scramble in the background, but it didn't dominate my receive. California stations and I had a direct hookup,with the only interference being other stations in Calif. It's been like this for three days. Strange what Mother Nature can do.

Yep JJ, your signal was going right over me here in Texas. I could hear the guys in Cal calling, and some that were talking to you, but you were just a little wisp of static in my radio. At some point however I was hooking up just fine with Hawaii and Australia. It was strange today, and a little different than yesterday.

Thanks for reminding me Robb. I did talk to Robb too, and he was loud along with several others. Those Calf. guys were loud and about S9. Robb said he was on his beam.

What antenna were you using JJ? I was working my Starduster, it's a little quieter than my Gain Master.

Good luck JJ.

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard Marconi and JJ today. Had Marconi at S-8 and JJ at S-5. Talked to Marconi; but JJ couldn't hear me call. Talked to Larry/WR-178 and had a S-8 on him for awhile. He came in before noon. No real DX out there besides JJ and a bit of Hawaii.

That 'day after day' guy started up with his crap. Told him to sell his radio. If this weak DX trend continues to get worse; then he may get what he is asking for. Me, I'll take the skip and everything that comes with it. Including the op's that spew that 'day after day 'crap too . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.