• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upcoming solar eclipse.

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Anybody have any plans for viewing the eclipse on Monday? Are you even in or near the path of totality? I said WTF and took Monday and Tuesday off and will be headed to somewhere along the north shore of New Brunswick Monday morning to be dead centre of the path of totality. It's about 3 to 4 hours drive one way depending where we decide to stop. Spending the night in Moncton before heading home on Tuesday. I won't likely be around for the next one visible here in 375 years and figure WTF. You only live once and you never know when your time is up. Time to live like it is your last day.

I can't believe its already been years ago the last one that happened in 2017. I was in Nevada at the time. Used an old 5.25" floppy disk to look through lol. My son was barely a year old then, and now he is 8 years old. We wont be near totality but even if we can see part of it go by would be neat.

Only expected to be about 15 to 20 % of the sun covered way out here on the West coast of Canada, and the forecast is calling for rain on Monday anyways......
So pretty much a non-event on this side of the continent !

I will be able to see 2m 31.3s of totality from my front yard. I usually take the dog out around that time, but I’m thinking about leaving him in the house. He doesn’t pay any attention when I turn on and off my ceiling sun :giggle:, but I fear his outside world view may be different. Bulldogs are very sensitive to abnormal changes, especially around their assigned perimeter.

As with most of Western NY, no special glasses were necessary. We had very heavy cloud cover all day. Except for all of the small businesses in the Buffalo area that raked in big profits, many viewers were somewhat disappointed. Nonetheless, at least for me, it still was an experience to behold. As I could no longer see my mailbox (at about a hundred yards), I could also hear Coyotes crying in a nearby hill, and our nesting Robyn suddenly started calling for its mate.

Reactions: doffo
Towards the end of the Eclipse here. Through a good ol Floppy Disk. :)
Solar Eclipse 2024.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I got home from work just in time to grab my welding mask. We only had about 7/8 of an eclipse here.
I read a article today that said not to use a welding mask to view the eclipse because they recommend a minimum of shade 14 and most welding masks only go to 13. I researched it because my buddy mentioned it yesterday so being me I had to check it out. But if you had clouds like we did here that should offer some protection.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.