• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

use of exports on 10 meters

docrock

Nov 6, 2012
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I was wondering if anyone knows the FCC rules in regard to use of 10 meter "export" radios by licensed HAM operators, I automatically assumed that as long as these radios were used within the proper frequency ranges and at appropriate power levels that there was not an issue, but on another HAM forum I was reading, many believed that since these radios are not FCC approved they are not legal for any transmission, not only on 11 meters but not even on 10. Does anyone know for sure if this is so?

If I could figure out a way to make my toaster radiate a signal on the ham bands it would be legal for me to use as long as it met spectral purity regulations. Some grumpy hams like to think that exports are illegal on the ham bands just because they are supposedly illegal for sale. The truth is they are legal to sell for use on 10m and legal to use on 10m or 12m or whatever just not on 11m.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
A lot of those guys on eHam and QRZ find it hard to accept that someone running a $100 export and a dipole is getting the same enjoyment out of ham radio and making as many contacts as they do with their $10,000 Icoms and $20,000 antenna farms.

Reactions: 5 people
A lot of those guys on eHam and QRZ find it hard to accept that someone running a $100 export and a dipole is getting the same enjoyment out of ham radio and making as many contacts as they do with their $10,000 Icoms and $20,000 antenna farms.
Love doing it to a friend down the road,have a rci2950dc and a99 and work same stations as him with his ft1000d 922 kenwood and ta33sr and 70 ft tower...then fire my ft450d and a99 later,hehe same s-9 plus as him...and on 75mtrs my late Fathers ts520 and double baz antenna and no amp to get same people,hehe 73 de n0zna

Reactions: 3 people
Those are the same guys on 14.313 using their $10,000 Yaesu's to key over each other.

As a licensed ham you are legally allowed you run just about anything within the band limits and power limits. Itdoes not need to be type accepted by the FCC.

actually, "type acceptance" is also long gone,....

it's now called "certification":D

What really impresses me is their logic that tells the hams that it's OK to use their "barefoot" 1000w rigs on 11 meters, but it's not OK for a truckdriver to buy and use an "export" radio to talk across the parking lot.

What really impresses me is their logic that tells the hams that it's OK to use their "barefoot" 1000w rigs on 11 meters, but it's not OK for a truckdriver to buy and use an "export" radio to talk across the parking lot.
Sorry I am missing your point here? It is not "ok" for us to use our 1000 watt rigs on 11 as its not ok for the trucker to by the export rig and run it on 11 or even boot leg on 10. It is ok for us to use that export rig on 10 and 12 though but we would be just as illegal using the export rig on 11 as you would be.

If I completely missed your point let me know.
73's

I'd say you completely missed my point. Do you listen or broadcast on 11 meters at all? If you spent any time on it at all you would know there are plenty of hams using ham rigs on 11 meters to irritate and drown out the barefoot and legal CB'er and the "barely legal" CB'er that just wants to have a fair playing field. Of course the CB'er buys and uses amps, they don't have a chance against Hamsters that invade with their high powered rigs every night and tie up the channels for hours at a time talking about nothing at all. They brag about thier 1500 watt amps while disparaging the legal CB'er cause he is legal. That's why I am impressed. :confused:

Thanks for the clarification. No I don't monitor 11 at all, at least since I got my ham ticket in '90, so I really have no idea but it does not surprise me that hams are there. There are jerks everywhere and a test and licensing doesn't clean them out. One quick listen to 80 meters at night or 14.313 during the day and you will quickly realize this. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have always found it sad when I hear the jerks on the ham bands keying on each other, playing music, preaching, tuning up over conversions and like. They are all running 5 to 10k rigs.. what a waste of money.

No applogies to me needed. LOL I was being facetious. I know there are jerks everywhere, it just gets kind of irksome to me when these boneheads get on 11 meters and tell us we are breaking the rules. I guess they never realize that they have far more to lose if they get caught, than the CB'er just having a little fun with his export radio or little shirt pocket amp. I honestly don't think there is any CB'er anywhere that doesn't know he is breaking the rules when he uses an amp. Even the people that made the rules decades ago could care less for the most part. So the stupidity of an old fart going into the first stages of alzheimers and breaking some really powerful rules to do it, impresses me. ;)

I talk on 11 meters using my Galaxy DX-959 & CRE-8900. The 8900 has a little more oomph and makes more contacts. Yes, I have to dart and weave between all the high powered operators but the victory is sweeter when someone comes back to me. I just wait for a overly strong DX signal contact and reply. Works most if the time.
Note:My Galaxy is in a base setup and a 1/4 wave SS whip on my 37 ft tower. My 8900 I run mobile with it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio