• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Used CB Radio: How to Buy-Part 2

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Yesterday's thread started this series about buying a used CB radio.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-...tizens-band-radio-radio-how-buy-part-1-a.html
We started off on the right foot and discussed the importance of a decent antenna for mobile and base station setups. SWR readings and how to use an SWR meter was covered. Today we are going to explore the radio itself and what to look for when picking up a used CB. If you are new to this hobby, you have found the right place.

If you aren't a member, it is absolutely free to join and only takes a minute or so. No spam will be sent or any personal info is gathered from you or your computer.

Used CB Radio: How to Buy - Part 2
There are some decisions that may need to be made at this point from you - the new radio operator. Do I want to run a regular 40 channel radio? Or do I want a single side-band radio ('SSB')? Does the radio need to have extra frequencies - other than the regular 40 channels? What other features are available; and would I want them? Do I want a mobile or base radio unit? How much power is enough? What brand of radio do I want? How much should I budget for the radio? We will address all of these issues now.

A regular 40 channel radio is a fine choice. There are more of them available that any other kind. This makes them the cheapest and most abundant. The newer-made radios may be just that 'new'; but lack better qualities of some older radios. Most regular 40 channel radios can be had for as little as $5 or as much as $70. A radio that was made in the 80's would be preferred; competition between mfr's was still very high back then. Major mfr's of choice would be Cobra, Uniden, President, and Midland. Many Cobras and President radios were made by Uniden and repackaged under their names. Very fine radios. These would be your best bets!

What is SSB ('single side-band'); and why would I want a radio that has it - rather than a radio with the regular 40 channels? 'SSB' offers more available and usable frequencies that a regular 40 channel radio. To each of the 40 channels, there is a frequency to the left and right of it. But SSB doesn't use the same electronics to access them. The radio will use modulation to drive this transmission - instead of modulation on top of a carrier wave as the regular 40 channel AM ('Amplitude Modulation') radios will do. If you want to talk 'skip' at some point; then having a SSB radio may well become your choice. One can use a 40 ch/AM radio to talk 'skip'; but the use of power amplifiers becomes a factor. This will be discussed further in Part 3 - yet to come. SSB radios often cost more than a 40 channel; running from $50 and upwards of $125. Older Cobra, Uniden, and President SSB radios cost in that range - and all excellent choices! Radios made in the Philippines, Malaysia, and Taiwan in the 80' are most preferred. Decide now what your choice will be - an AM only radio or AM/SSB radio. I prefer the AM/SSB radios myself. I have both a Cobra 148GTL and a Uniden Grant XL from Malaysia and the Philippines; I didn't pay more than $90 for either one.

Besides the SSB, some radios offer 'extra' frequencies. 'Export' radios are often in this category; they are not 'regular CB" radios at all. Regular 40 ch radios span 26.965 Megahertz (referred to as 'mhz' from this point forward) to 27.405mhz. Many 'export' radios in the US have extra frequencies that cover well below 26.965mhz as well as above 27.405mhz. Some of them are only AM/FM 'mode of transmission as well. Most of them are AM/FM/CW/SSB (the 'FM' and 'CW' modes will be discussed later). These radios were meant to be used on frequencies well above the normal 40 channels on the Amateur ('Ham') 10 meter (28.300mhz to 28.500mhz) frequencies; but with a simple modification can be made to operate on the CB frequencies too. An AM/FM 'export' radio will run anywhere from $100 to $200. The AM/FM/CW/SSB 'export' radios will cost anywhere from $150 to well over $300. The export radios will often have more output than 12 watt/40 ch CB's; often as much as 50 watts or more! Many export radios can be used to talk skip w/o using a power amp/linear all by themselves; this is one of the reasons they have become so popular. Brands such as Galaxy, Ranger, Magnum, Connex, and RCI make up a great deal of those available. They were meant primarily for Ham radio operators; but CB users also get and use them...

FM and CW modes are often found in export radios. FM stands for 'frequency modulation' and is a common mode of transmitting in Europe particular. But they also have these export radios; and use the AM/SSB mode of transmission in their radios as well. FM is also used by Ham operators in certain frequency spectrums. Your car radio often has a AM/FM modes of operation; the FM mode sounds cleaner than AM - doesn't it? Few people use FM on the CB band; it may be used on the upper frequencies from time to time. CW refers to 'Continuous Wave' which has to do with using Morse Code; not for operating a microphone. Some of the radios that have the CW function have a jack/plug in the back to plug in a Morse Code-type 'key'. Unless you want to take the time to become a Ham operator and learn Morse Code, you can forget about this function. No one uses Morse Code on a CB...

Many of the export radios have other 'bells and whistles'. Echoes, roger beeps, frequency counters, compression, modulation ('talk') boosters, talk back, and others. 'Echo' can be useful; or sound like trash if it isn't correctly set to make oneself well understood while transmitting. 'Talk back' is used to monitor how that echo will be heard. The best way -IMO- is to set the speed of the echo as slow as possible; while adjusting the level of echo just enough to 'tail off' when speaking is done. This can have a positive effect to the listening station. Too much - and one has a difficult time understanding what has been said.

Roger beeps are used to let the listening party know when your transmission is complete. The second one unkeys the mic - a distinctive 'beep' will be transmitted. It is best used on SSB use, where it can be difficult to know when the transmission was finished. Some SSB operators find them a nuisance; while others will use them despite this fact. My radio has this option; but I rarely ever use it.

Frequency counters numerically display the actual frequency that one is using. External frequency counters can purchased online and cost about ~$60 new or ~$35 used. It helps to have one if your radio has extra frequencies in it. Some AM radios can and have been modified with additional frequencies. They may have a 3-way toggle switch on the side/back that is not a factory switch; that is one way to identify if it has been done. Sometimes some of the factory switches on a radio may be used to hide this function as well. Having a frequency counter is the best way to know where you are if this has been done to the radio you have. Many of the older radios available and being sold may have other modifications as well, such as variable power output, or had the modulation output increased as well.

Compression and modulation boosters do much the same thing. They will make you speech clearer and louder; mostly to make you voice clearer to understand. They are able to extract all of the radios output and do it smoothly. That doesn't mean that you need this feature to be heard; it can make your voice more audible at the receiving radio is all. Such modifications can put in any radio - if one is willing to send it to a CB shop to have it done. A worthwhile modification in any radio - IMO. My radio has such a function from the factory; it is my favorite radio because of this feature...

Most AM only CB radios will include a S/RF (incoming signal/RF output) meter, a channel indicator LED, a mic gain knob, a squelch knob, an RF sensitivity knob, and volume knob. A AM/SSB radio will include all that the AM radios have - with the addition of a AM/LSB('lower side band'/USB('upper side band') and a 'clarifier knob. The clarifier is used as a fine tuning to 'dial in' another incoming SSB transmission. An AM radio will not have this function as a rule.

If you choose a CB base radio for your base station, there are only a few today that are new - such as the Galaxy 2417. Most of the new base station radios being mfg'd today are made by Galaxy and RCI and are export radios. Very well made, and Galaxy and RCI are nice units to get - if you can afford the price tag of 350-$400. The older Cobra 142GTL and 2000GTL and legendary and can be had for 200-$300 respectively. President is also a high quality radio and there are many model in their line all named after various past US presidents. Thus; the name 'President'. Th Pres. Washington and Madison are my favorites and can be had between 100-$350. Both the Cobra and President radios often have the same chassis as mobile radios do. They are fitted in fine-looking cases and have large meters in them - along with some added extras. Using a mobile radio can also be used as a base station; just use an external 12v power supply and it works just as well. I run my base station with a mobile radio and a power supply. I prefer it; though not necessarily better or worse than a true base radio. This concept can give you a lot of options to set up your base station with! Mobile radios are a bit cheaper and have all of the quality in receive and transmit as the base station units do.

Now I hope that you have some idea of what is involved. I hope this has made choosing a radio easier - as to what you want and expect from any radio. I didn't want to tell you 'you should buy this Brand X radio'; I hope I gave you an idea of what you may want and why. I do have my own leanings twards certain choices; but I also know that they are all universally accepted ones. If you have specific questions about any radio choice you are considering - please feel free to ask here! Remember also; that the antenna choice you make is invaluable and the radio choice is secondary. Spending up to $200 for a used radio should get you just about any kind mentioned here. There are members on this site that often sell radios of all kinds on this site. You can find them in the 'Forum Swap Shop' here:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/forum-swapshop/

Tomorrow we will discuss radios a little more in depth.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-...tizens-band-radio-radio-how-buy-part-3-a.html
Please feel free to ask any question you have here - after registering and becoming a member.
Bookmark this page - if it has been helpful to you...

Last edited:

A couple of quick comments:

The way you described sideband (SSB) isn't quite right. You said:

'SSB' offers more available and usable frequencies that a regular 40 channel radio. To each of the 40 channels, there is a frequency to the left and right of it.

Upper Side Band (USB) and Lower Side Band (LSB) are not actually on different frequencies than the regular CB AM channels. They are different modes of operation on the same frequency, just like FM is a different mode than AM. This can be a little confusing because a lot of the CB radio packaging and manuals DO actually say that they are "different frequencies".

I'll point out a couple of other things that weren't mentioned. First, "Export Radios" or 10 meter radios are illegal in the U.S. A lot of people own and use them without any trouble, but they are illegal. If you decide to purchase one to get a little more power, you should be awarea that if you wander into the Ham frequencies (or Amateur Radio) you can get yourself in trouble. Using the Amateur Radio frequencies requires an FCC license and a licensed Amateur Radio operator can tell immediately when another user is not trained or educated on the procedures if they wander into them. It's not very difficult to locate the sourced of an unlicensed station if you know what you're doing and you can get turned into the FCC and fined.

Back on the subject of buying a used CB, I would be interested in hearing some opinions on what to look for in a used CB. Personally, I always ask a few basic questions like, "what work has been done to the radio?". "Is it stock?" "How many different CB shops have worked on the radio?" Depending on the answers, I can get real shy on purchasing the radio. Personally, I prefer purchasing all stock, nobody touched it, type of used CB radio. However, if the person says something like, "it's been tweaked and peaked", then I know it probably has only had a little work done that didn't really hurt anything, I tend to stay away from radios with real exotic mods unless I know a little bit about the shop that did the work.

Common CB brands & models that you'll find that are worth considering, IMO are:

Uniden Grant LT
Uniden Grant XL
Cobra 148GTL
Cobra 29
Cobre 25
Uniden 520
Uniden 510
Galaxy 959
Galaxy 949

Any others that you guys can think of?

uniden/president washington
uniden/president madision
cobra 142/2000/139/135
various realistics and such with uniden boards in them .
cpi 2000
stoner arf1000
and then theres tubes ........

When I wrote this, I kept finding and adding more and more things to it.
Like defining 'skip'...here:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-cb-radios/37289-how-shoot-skip.html

Some things to needed some correction too, as Moleculo pointed out about SSB.
I even forgot to define 'Modulation'.
Someone want to do that one?

As far as CB radios I listed, I would also add the Ranger, Galaxy, and Realistic.
They make some fine CB's as well; not just export radios.
I will add things to watch out for when buying, like broken meters or channel LED's that don't light.

I didn't touch on older 23 channel radios, or tube radios, as BootyMon suggested.
I think that 40 channel radios are easier for a beginner to handle, use, and get used to first.
Less chance of needing repairs.

There is a lot more that I could still add to it; but I will expand on it some more on tomorrow's Part 3.

Last edited:
Molculo,
Sorry, but I need to correct you a bit.
10 meter radios ARE NOT illegal, or they would not let them in the US in the first place.
What IS illegal:
Transmitting on an amateur band (10 Meters, or any other amateur band) when you don't have a Ham License, and
Moding a 10 meter, or any other radio designed for amateur band transmission to operate on the CB Band.
Now, I know Dang near everybody does it, but if you get caught, just like running a 1kw kicker, you gonna shell out some washington's, and/or loose your station.

How to choose a used CB radio in Sanford, Fl.

1)Locate a vehicle with a CB antenna.
2)Bust out the passenger side window
3)Rip the radio out
4)Head to nearest pawn shop

A couple of quick comments:

The way you described sideband (SSB) isn't quite right. You said:

Upper Side Band (USB) and Lower Side Band (LSB) are not actually on different frequencies than the regular CB AM channels. They are different modes of operation on the same frequency, just like FM is a different mode than AM. This can be a little confusing because a lot of the CB radio packaging and manuals DO actually say that they are "different frequencies".

I'll point out a couple of other things that weren't mentioned. First, "Export Radios" or 10 meter radios are illegal in the U.S. A lot of people own and use them without any trouble, but they are illegal. If you decide to purchase one to get a little more power, you should be awarea that if you wander into the Ham frequencies (or Amateur Radio) you can get yourself in trouble. Using the Amateur Radio frequencies requires an FCC license and a licensed Amateur Radio operator can tell immediately when another user is not trained or educated on the procedures if they wander into them. It's not very difficult to locate the sourced of an unlicensed station if you know what you're doing and you can get turned into the FCC and fined.

Back on the subject of buying a used CB, I would be interested in hearing some opinions on what to look for in a used CB. Personally, I always ask a few basic questions like, "what work has been done to the radio?". "Is it stock?" "How many different CB shops have worked on the radio?" Depending on the answers, I can get real shy on purchasing the radio. Personally, I prefer purchasing all stock, nobody touched it, type of used CB radio. However, if the person says something like, "it's been tweaked and peaked", then I know it probably has only had a little work done that didn't really hurt anything, I tend to stay away from radios with real exotic mods unless I know a little bit about the shop that did the work.

Common CB brands & models that you'll find that are worth considering, IMO are:

Uniden Grant LT
Uniden Grant XL
Cobra 148GTL
Cobra 29
Cobre 25
Uniden 520
Uniden 510
Galaxy 959
Galaxy 949

Any others that you guys can think of?

I believe the FCC controls how far you can use these frequencies left or right of center frequency, isn't it like 2 kc's or something like that.

Molculo,
Sorry, but I need to correct you a bit.
10 meter radios ARE NOT illegal, or they would not let them in the US in the first place.
What IS illegal:
Transmitting on an amateur band (10 Meters, or any other amateur band) when you don't have a Ham License, and
Moding a 10 meter, or any other radio designed for amateur band transmission to operate on the CB Band.
Now, I know Dang near everybody does it, but if you get caught, just like running a 1kw kicker, you gonna shell out some washington's, and/or loose your station.

Well, the article was about buying CB radios for use on CB frequencies, and the 10 meter export recommendations were about using them on CB frequencies, so my comments implied that we were discussing the same thing. If this article was about operating on 10 meters, I would have phrased things differently.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.