• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Used HT for field use, recommendations?

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
The only HT I have experience with is the baofeng uv-b5. I'd like to try something water resistant and more durable for actual use in the field. I don't need any digital modes, but I would prefer dual band/watch. the only thing Ive really looked at so far is the ft-60r, but im sure there are plenty other options.

Any thought, ideas or suggestions.

The FT-60r is a winner. I believe it came out in 2004. The difference between the FT-60r and a baofeng is night and day. I haven’t had my 60r for some time as I moved to digital modes. The only radio I miss more is my old Icom IC- O2AT

I think most of them suck do to the crappy rubber ducky antennas and the lack of a counterpoise. Something to keep in mind.
I kinda think that for general receive that a rubber ducky would be much better than a yagi and a 65 watt mobile packed away in a bag.

I am pretty sure that my baofeng with a yagi will smoke any handheld or mobile with a rubber ducky.

Base on these facts, I'm probably better off with 5 more baofengs.

Reactions: binrat
I might just get a new ft-60r. I was thinking about trying an ft-65r for $99, but I can't find a Mars mod for it and the reviews seem to be very mixed. I guess the 60r must be good if it is still selling for more than the new model.

I've considered going with a Yaesu dual band HT myself, but for what I do with an HT, just can't seem to justify the cost enough to pull the trigger. Currently using Baofeng/Pofung UV-82's, which may be a little more water resistant than the UV-5R's. Mine works pretty good with a longer antenna, and sometimes I use a K9TAX slim jim with it when I travel. And if I lose it or it breaks, who cares?

Brett

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
You can make a slim jim in about 5 minutes, I have made several and I keep them for traveling.
You obviously haven't seen the quality of things I make. :ROFLMAO: I wanted something I could travel with a LOT, and the K9TAX one is made extremely well. Still holding up just fine after about 4 years of use, in and out of a suitcase. I might have gotten 4 weeks out of something I made myself.

Brett

After looking at what is available I have abandoned the search. They just want too much money for accessories, or don't have a freq mod, or require an expensive cable, or just not well thought out. I do have an htx-202 on the way though. Thanks for the replies

After looking at what is available I have abandoned the search. They just want too much money for accessories, or don't have a freq mod, or require an expensive cable, or just not well thought out. I do have an htx-202 on the way though. Thanks for the replies

That is why I am glad the Chinese HT's hit the market. I was hoping it would drive the prices down on the Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood units. It seems to have helped with the main unit price, but you are dead on with the accessories... ridiculously high prices for them. Hope you like the RS HT, I don't know much about them.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.