• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using a kenwood TS-940 on .. gasp ... 11M

KC2ZPK

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 15, 2010
I'll ask this here as I think some forums would frown on this question, so Here goes.

I put up a inverted Vee for 20M a few months back to do some DX on 20M, just reciently I was listening on 10M when 10-10 was running a contest, and found out the inverted Vee would load up with the internal tuner on the TS-940. So... I let my fingers spin the dial a little lower and found it picks up 38LSB real nice, and 6 AM sounded like a crazy party :w00t: Now I really doubt that I can cut it on the superbowl going barefoot with an antenna that is meant for a frequency 1/2 +/- that of the CB band, BUT with another inverted Vee cut for 11M???? could be fun. I am sure there are other radios better suited for this, but I will be living out in the dog house if I get another radio. I just wish I could find the 148GTL packed up in storage :sad:

So anyone use Ham gear on CB, FCC issues aside. :bdh:

I recall reading some Kenwood tube radios are decent. if they are small, maybe I can sneak it in:whistle: honey, it just followed me home.

Also anyone recommend a simple wire antenna to hang in the trees other then the Inverted vee?

Ive loaded my inverted V's up on 11 meters aswell. What you need to remember is unless someone is real close to you they most likely wont hear you. Its like my dual polarity beam flat (horizontal) worrks wonders for long distance skip but close stations running vertical well hardly worth the effort. ;)

Ive loaded my inverted V's up on 11 meters aswell. What you need to remember is unless someone is real close to you they most likely wont hear you. Its like my dual polarity beam flat (horizontal) worrks wonders for long distance skip but close stations running vertical well hardly worth the effort. ;)

That was what I was thinking, the Inverted Vee kinda gets the skip ok, but local would need vertical.

A vertical dipole might be tough to get in.

Switch to open wire feed and a balanced tuner and your 20 meter resin ant antenna will come alive.

Well; some do run horizontal beams on 11m; mostly vertical though. A vertical dipole could be done with some stealth. Depends upon the materials chosen. Fishing rods as opposed to PVC pipe. You can do it. An inverted "V" works both; but also compromises both too . . .

It's not clear if you've actually gotten your TS-940S to transmit on 11m. If not, the modification for it (and some other good info) can be found here:

KB2LJJ Radio Mods Database and Manuals

Long story short, it seems you need to cut/remove D130 on the digital unit, which is behind the face of the rig.

I use my TS-950SDX on 11 meters. In my defense, the previous owner had already done the all-band TX mod, so what was a boy to do? :)

-Bill

I'll ask this here as I think some forums would frown on this question, so Here goes.

I put up a inverted Vee for 20M a few months back to do some DX on 20M, just reciently I was listening on 10M when 10-10 was running a contest, and found out the inverted Vee would load up with the internal tuner on the TS-940. So... I let my fingers spin the dial a little lower and found it picks up 38LSB real nice, and 6 AM sounded like a crazy party :w00t: Now I really doubt that I can cut it on the superbowl going barefoot with an antenna that is meant for a frequency 1/2 +/- that of the CB band, BUT with another inverted Vee cut for 11M???? could be fun. I am sure there are other radios better suited for this, but I will be living out in the dog house if I get another radio. I just wish I could find the 148GTL packed up in storage :sad:

So anyone use Ham gear on CB, FCC issues aside. :bdh:

I recall reading some Kenwood tube radios are decent. if they are small, maybe I can sneak it in:whistle: honey, it just followed me home.

Also anyone recommend a simple wire antenna to hang in the trees other then the Inverted vee?

i know many that use kenwoods and icoms on 11 m. a few evenb ham ops. if your only
interestecd in am only 11 meter just get a cobra 29 and a amp
if ssb then get a grant or 148 old style with amp
this is if your TRULY worried about it.

It's not clear if you've actually gotten your TS-940S to transmit on 11m. If not, the modification for it (and some other good info) can be found here:

KB2LJJ Radio Mods Database and Manuals

Long story short, it seems you need to cut/remove D130 on the digital unit, which is behind the face of the rig.

I use my TS-950SDX on 11 meters. In my defense, the previous owner had already done the all-band TX mod, so what was a boy to do? :)

-Bill

Already done. I bought it that way. I'll check out the other mods :)

i know many that use kenwoods and icoms on 11 m. a few evenb ham ops. if your only
interestecd in am only 11 meter just get a cobra 29 and a amp
if ssb then get a grant or 148 old style with amp
this is if your TRULY worried about it.

I really have an intrest in all radio. I have my ham ticket, and have been playing around bands as much as my wire dipoles will alllow. Just though I would check out the 10M/11M area. I am not all stuffed up about it, it's all radio to me, wether it be 40M or 11M/CB.

Live in a condo, got to be stealth:whistle:

TV 300 ohm twinlead works and shouldn't be any worse than coax looks wise.

It's losses go up when wet but will still allow 1:1 SWR on all bands from 20 to 10 with the right coupler.

Living in a condo I'd more concerned wioth getting every last bit of R.F. off the feedline.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.