• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using Magnum S-9 with a linear amplifier ?

freecell - that's exactly what I was saying but if you feel the need to call it wrong and restate it everytime go ahead.

The paradox is that this guy can turn down the AMC and ALC and then add the amplifier and then he won't like the way it sounds.

Last edited:
"freecell - that's exactly what I was saying but if you feel the need to call it wrong and restate it everytime go ahead."

no it isn't exactly what you said.

"The paradox is that this guy can turn down the AMC and ALC and then add the amplifier and then he won't like the way it sounds."

the S9 can be matched to that amplifier, pos that it is and can be made to perform and sound excellent.

"He's caught up in running that radio with that amp and it's just a waste of time."

that's just your opinion.

the S9 can be matched to that amplifier, pos that it is and can be made to perform and sound excellent. that's a fact.

I had a similar problem with a President Lincoln running thru a Zetagi B150 Linear Amp, you might laugh but all I did was push the Mic Gain in, same as turning anticlockwise just as freecall said.

The Amp was only meant to take an input of 10w SSB I think, My lincoln does 26w SSB, worked ok with good audio reports.

Last edited:
vitvool1,
no disrespect towards you but the b150 is class C and sounds poor on ssb, the late model b150 uses the same board as the rm kl200 which also sounds poor,
i know many people will give you a good audio report but that tells me they are either just been polite or they dont have a clue what ssb should sound like,

some b300p's have input padding or to be more correct a series 2w resistor between the relay and the rf input to the power sellector board, i guess they cant be bothered using a proper input pad,
a couple of extra resistors of suitable watt rating would be too much to expect from them,
some have a wire jumper in place of the resistor,

some use 455's some use 1446's either way they are usually flat balls out on a wattmeter with less than 10w fm drive but not always,
that 10w fm they recommend will eventually burn the power setting resistors if used on setting 1-5 and the feedback resistors if used on setting 6,
zetagi put a sticker on the amp telling you not to input more than 5w on setting 6 which is sound advice for longevity but you wont get near full output,
it also leads you to believe that 5-10w fm is ok on settings 1-5,
5w on setting 1-5 is about max safe input without damaging the resistors, input 10w on settings 1-5 and they burn, you end up with all power settings giving the same output with any drive level,

i have people bring them for repair and the input att resistor has got so hot it unsolders itself and is floating around inside burnt to a crisp, the same goes for the feedbacks they are usually brown or burnt and on several occasions floating loose inside, the 10ohm base emitter resistor can also go brown,
the versions with the input resistor and 1446 transistors are much less prone to the rest of the amp burning up and in most cases replacing the resistor with a higher wattage version will have the amp working as usual,
with mrf455's your less likely to get away with overdriving the amp,

versions with the jumper wire are usually in a much worse state when they arrive at my door,
i have on several occasions had to etch a new power sellector board because its burned black and the traces peeling off,
the sd1446 transistors will often stand more drive than the rest of the amp,
most of the above also applies to the kl351p/kl400/kl500 / zetagi b550p/ and the 28volt b750/b1200, its not unusual to find feedback resistors floating around inside a b750 and a burnt resistor on the output combiner,

zetagi and rm is italian for lottery,
you never know what you are getting or what drive it needs for full output and what that full output will be untill you look whats inside and test it on a decent wattmeter and dummyload,
about the only thing you can say for sure is they both talk bollocks with their input and output ratings,
following their guidelines will get you burnt components dry solder joints and charred circuit boards but the transistors may survive,
keep drive levels down especially on fm, fit a decent fan and they can last for years trouble free,

if you dont want to adjust the radio you need to make an input attenuator as freecell suggested using none inductive resistors that can handle the input power without getting overly hot, fit it between the relay and the trace that runs to the power sellector board after removing the resistor or wire jumper thats in there now, there are a few ways to do it, this may help.

http://www.raltron.com/cust/tools/t_attenuator.asp

Last edited:
"How do you guys avoid blowing the input of your amps ?"

first of all, we invest in real amplifiers, not junk. we observe and provide the recommended drive levels (carrier & pep) to the amplifier based on the type and number of devices used in combination with the rated output of the devices. for am operation we maintain the pep-to-carrier ratio from the amplifier at a value just at or below 4:1 in recognition of the fact that this is where 100% modulation occurs and we operate the amplifiers at the recommended operating voltages. we understand that the drive recommendations published by most amplifier manufacturers are vague at best and prefer to determine exactly what they are according to the guidelines presented here instead.

let's just say that the goal was to find an amplifier with a pair of SD1446's at the cheapest price you could get it for, only to find out that long before the devices reach their rated output that solder begins to melt, components begin to fall out of their mounting locations and etches are burning up on the pc board, we won't even mention all of the other features it lacks because you wanted to pay as little for it as possible. you got what you paid for. the corollary to that is you didn't get what you didn't pay for.

does an amplifier that will do the rated output of the devices used without solder melting and components falling off of the pc board cost extra? where rmitaly and zetagi are concerned, apparently so.

jack, the b300p and kl400 costs between £109 and £119 plush shipping or a ride out to the cb shop 50 miles from here which would cost £15+ in gas,
for the price you have the palomar 225 listed@ somebody over here could buy the 225 and ship it over for a similar cost ,
you dont pay import duty on radio equipment if you use the correct commodity code when shipping but you will pay vat @17.5% if your package is pulled at customs,

http://www.frars.org.uk/cgi-bin/render.pl?pageid=1295

i have never seen a 225 over here to comment on how they would hold up to my locals abuse but if i wanted a 2x1446 amp myself i know which one i would buy.

i need to chat with you later.

"i have never seen a 225 over here to comment on how they would hold up to my locals abuse but if i wanted a 2x1446 amp myself i know which one i would buy."

with a wide range of export radios producing 4W of Carrier and just at or under 16WPEP the Genuine Palomar 225 will produce 45 - 50W of Carrier and just about 200WPEP in the Medium Power position (200WPEPSSB) and display an inarguably clean pattern in either mode on any scope. it runs cool at these levels when used @ (standard ICAS) 50% duty cycle.

for some idea as to their ruggedness, in 100 units sold only 1 (1%) is returned and when they are the base-emitter (input) junctions of the SD1446's are shorted in both directions, in other words, excessive drive input. we stress test them @ 270WPEP in the final QC check before they are shipped. if a unit doens't pass then it's returned to the front of the line, so to speak. only when the amp passes this test are they shipped out.

after reading several replies to pilsener's questions, i thought '808' migrated over to this forum!!!!! then i looked. WHOOPS. somebody is asking for some help. was a helpful reply not neccessary in that case? he may have gotten 'nicer' replies from those kind fellers on qrz. ;-)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.