• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using PA questions.

cphilip

Sep 10, 2006
Clemson SC
www.cphilip.com
Yes... that useless feature that appears on your Radio....

For one reason or another I am trying to actually USE it!

Which brings up a few questions... since it seems that CB reception goes out through the Megaphone... what channel would one use it on? What CB channel is oft not used enough to go to in order to broadcast through an external speaker?

Here is another thing I am not exactly certain on... does the key up get sent out on that channel as well as through the Speaker? Or is it limited to just going out the speaker?

Not as good a PA system as I had hoped it would be but workable I hope.

It will not transmit on any perticular frequancy (channel) in the PA mode, it only receives it , lets say your out side your car and you just want to monitor a channel, you can do it through your PA horn. :) on some radios that have a mic gain control on them , you can just turn down the volume control on the radio that will shut down the receive cb transmitions out the Pa HORN , The mic gain control will then control the loudness of your PA system if and when you wanted to yell at the kids for being kids. :)

Hmm.... well.... I intended to use it as a PA. Not an external speaker. I mean "PA" means Public ADRESS! So I should be able to address. So what the heck is up with calling this thing an address system if indeed it is only a External Speaker?

I had this mic I got from you Jim, with this Cobra 25, that has a volume control knob on it but it would not transmit at all. So I rather than mess around with that Mic anymore I switched to a stock Ranger mic I had and it seem transmits now (to another radio on CB) but it does not have volume control like the one I got from you which is not transmitting. So perhaps I monkey around with it a bit more. And go into this Mic and see whats up about the TX on it. Maybe a lose wire or something. I dunno. But sounds like I will need an adjustable Volume Mic to do what I want to do?

Switch Kit said:
It will not transmit on any perticular frequancy (channel) in the PA mode, it only receives it , lets say your out side your car and you just want to monitor a channel, you can do it through your PA horn. :) on some radios that have a mic gain control on them , you can just turn down the volume control on the radio that will shut down the receive cb transmitions out the Pa HORN , The mic gain control will then control the loudness of your PA system if and when you wanted to yell at the kids for being kids. :)

I think you might not be understanding me here Phil ?
That mic is brand new, and was tested several times before it left my personal. Im guessing you have the battery in backwards ? , if the battery is in backwards ,the mic will not modulate.(I believe I wrote you a PM to remind you about that?) This is my guess here Phil , if this is not the case ? I will gladly work something out with you. Wish you would have PM'ed or emailed me on this matter rather then me to find out like this. I also am not sure what it is your trying to do here Phil ? the PA is what it is , if you are getting cb receive out of the PA horn , just turn down the on/off volume control on the radio , the PA's audio out is then controlled by the mic gain on the radio. turning the radios volume down does not effect the PA's audio out. ...........Try turning the battery around in the mic Phil , I think that should be your problem. if it's not , just send it back to me and I will fix it if need be or simply replace it with a new one. IM very sorry to hear you are having problems.

Don't go postal on me switch.:) I not even worried about the mic. I was concentrating on getting the PA to work like I wanted.

Heck I didn't even take the time to check the mic. When it would not broadcast to the other mobil I just swaped it and got that far. But still didn't get as far as I would have liked on that project. I got interrupted about that time when I got it to send and eliminated that section of the project. Had to quit.

I didn't bother to email or PM you because I am not worried about the mic. Not at all. And am glad you mentioned the battery because I probably would have forgotten to check that too when I got back to this project. But at that point I ran into a problem with my antenna on the Base radio (see Antenna thread) and then my buddy shows up wanting to work on his Vespa so I had to stop. If I had gotten to a point I was satisfied that the mike was DOA I would have INDEED contacted you in private. I only threw that part about the mic in to explain why I couldn't try a power Mic like you suggested. At least at this point and at the point I had gotten to today. In hind sight I probably should not have even mentioned it at this point.

Don't worry buddy! I will check it. Your probably right but I just did not get a chance to go back to that part of the puzzle... I will though. I am fairly certain it will be fine. But if it's not... you will not hear about it here (or on any thread for that matter). You will hear it in private. Of course! :D

My main point of this thread was to see if what I was seeing out of the PA parts of these CB's is normal. And it seems it is. I just did not have a power mic working to get to that part in the time I got there.

Seems the PA stuff on these is not really what I thought though. I would have expected it to cut everything out and just act as an amplifier or something. I have had many a radio with a PA on it but never ever tried to use that feature. Sounds like it can work like you described though. So not all is lost.

PS this is the one I am putting in the Motorcycle trailer running off a battery. Works pretty good in there actually. :shock: :D

Seems the PA stuff on these is not really what I thought though. I would have expected it to cut everything out and just act as an amplifier or something. I have had many a radio with a PA on it but never ever tried to use that feature. Sounds like it can work like you described though. So not all is lost.

Some radios do and some don't , as I said before ,if you don't want to hear the incoming of any channel that your radio is on out your PA when the PA is ingauged , just turn down the volume on the radio .....your audio and loudness out your PA horn will be controlled by the mic gain control on the radio. Power mic's will work fine on PA's but chances are you will need to turn things down on either the mic or mic gain on the radio.With my experiance with PA's over the years , they usually seem to work best on stock type microphones.

Yea... seems I was under the wrong impression of them. And if it varies then I will just have to adapt to that. For some reason I just figured there was a different hole for the speaker and a different setting for a reason. But really, in this case, its more like and external speaker which there is already a hole for and no setting. In actuality its more like that it seems to me. Not what I expected at all.

But I think it's workable. Thanks for the input Switch. I think I am on the right track now.

update on this Jim,

Ya know these mikes work better if you actually put a battery in them? LOL!!!

We did not. Seems when I sent Robin in to get one and he came back with the mike and handed it to me it never got put in.

Admittedly I never asked him if he put one in it now that I think back at it.

So I go today to try flipping it around and there is no battery in it. I called him up a few minutes ago and and ask him why he didn't put one in it before bringing it back to me. He says "Couldn't find one, didn't I tell ya?" BwaHAHAHAHAHAHAH... I said well... no... no ya didn't tell me. I just assumed if you brought it back and you handed it to me you found one and did... Guess why it would not broadcast?

"/

....oh me...did we have one of them days. Nothing we did went right. All good now! :D

Glad to hear one of your problems is coming along Phil , most of us who have been in this hobby for years now have all gone through problems of some kind.

Well our biggest problem was trying to do three things at once. Fix my Antenna, fix Robins Scooter and mess with this trailer set up. In the end run we got none of them right. Simple things went unchecked. What a Sunday afternoon.

Oh and a fourth thing came up. I had a bee hive in trouble I had to deal with at dark last night too. It was a unproductive day thats for sure. But things came together tonight after work.

recieving when P.A. Is on? :? never had that problem but I hope ya figure it out Phil! All I do is plug in the pa spaeker turn the switch to pa key Up and scare the crap out of some one :LOL: :LOL: I use the mike gain to control the output volume of the pa horn! IF the alc has been disabled it may not function! Havent tried it my radios run clean audio!! do you have talkback in this thing? you know about the old trick of jumping across the ext speaker and pa jacks to get talkback there may be some problem there if thats the way it works!

Just my 2 cents hope ya get it the way ya want!

Kind of amusing to see someone half asleep at a light jump when ya yell WAKE UP! :twisted: :twisted:

Oh it does indeed work. However if someone is on the channel it does come out the horn. I still am not sure what I need to turn up or down to eliminate it if it can be eliminated. Mainly because I have not had a listener outside to give me feedback. And then someone to get on that channel and broadcast while I check. Going to take a helper to do it. But it does indeed feed out the horn when I want it too. One step at a time I guess.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.