• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using Realistic 5 pin mic with Uniden Pro510xl 4 pin connection?

Blaine B.

Jun 13, 2009
Indiana
Hi there. The microphone that worked with my Uniden Pro510XL CB radio recently quit working. The microphone that quit working as well as the radio connection are a 4 pin setup.

I have a Realistic (Radio Shack) microphone here that is a 5 pin setup.

I snipped the ends off of both radios and was going to solder on the Uniden 4 pin plug to the Realistic mic.

I read up and found that this is possible to do as long as you do not hook up the ground from the Realistic mic, which is the 5th wire.

However the wire colors between the two microphones are completely different and I was wondering if anybody could help me to determine which wire is what?

I am probably messing with this a bit late as there is an offroading trip Saturday evening which I need this to work for. I should probably just go buy a new microphone from the truck stop but if this can work I figure I mind as well do this "conversion" and save a few bucks.

Thanks a bunch!!

FYI, the wires with the Realistic microphone are white wrapped with an insulator/isolator, red, black, and blue.

The wires with the Uniden microphone are blue wrapped with an insulator/isolator, grey, and brown.

The Uniden plug is marked 1, 2, 3, and 4.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated.....thanks!

These links might be of some use to you...or not. I tried. :D

CB Radio Microphone Wiring | THUNDERPOLE

Mic Wiring Pinouts and instructions by dxzone.com

Mike wiring guide by dxzone.com

On the last two links, just click the first link in the main body of the page for the actual document I was trying to link. The last link might be most useful considering it will walk you through identifying the proper wires for each function.

Finding a wiring diagram for your Uniden will be simple and painless...finding one for the radioshack mic is going to be difficult.

Thanks, I'll take a look at your links in a bit. I was able to borrow a mic to use for last night's event so all was well.

I did some searching the night before and it was really confusing because different websites listed different wire colors for the same radio and mic...

I think I have the correct information here now, thanks to your links.

For the RadioShack/Realistic mic, it appears the blue wire is just there for kicks and is not used. White is the mic audio, black is receive, red is transmit, and then you have the shield.

From the solder side of the Uniden 4 pin plug, it appears that 1 is common, 2 is mic audio, 3 is receive, and 4 is transmit.

I will wire it up like so in a bit and see if it works out!

Although I also see that Cobra mics have pin 1 being mic audio, pin 2 being common, and pins 3 and 4 being the same as the Uniden mic.

But I have been able to use a Cobra mic without problems.....so I'm confused! At least transmit and receive are the same, if it still doesn't work I suppose I could just swap wires from pins 1 and 2 and either way it should work then for sure..................

Got the Realistic mic wired up to the Uniden plug and working correctly!

Their information regarding how Cobra mics had the mic audio and common mismatched. Cobra mics work on my CB so I just wired it up like that. The receive and transmit wires were correct though. At least it works!

You're welcome!

Yeah I have a 97 GC Limited. 5.2L V8, CAI, 3" exhaust, 249 to 242 tcase swap, and a chip is planned whenever funds allow. I have a teraflex 3.5" lift on 31"s.

7" on 33"s? If I had 7" lift I'd subtle for nothing less than 35"s. Might have to persuade the fenders though. But sounds nice either way. (y)

I'm assuming from reading your post, that your rig is in your Jeep, where did you mount it out of curiosity? I had to mount my Connex 4600T to the left of the steering wheel on the flat surface there. Not ideal for viewing but easy to adjust while driving. Doesn't get in the way of knees or getting in or out either.

Keep on Jeepin'!

Here's a pic I took today. I have the CB mounted on the passenger side of the center console.

My friend with a 96 ZJ has his in the same spot. Same radio too. The Uniden Pro510XL is a small radio, fortunately!

I have a Firestick molded body mount (probably should have went with the chrome ball mount for added durability and easier routing of coax......the molded mount uses the mounting studs for the coax conenction. Not a fan of that, whereas the ball mount has seperate mounting studs and coax studs....oh well. I also have a 4' Firestick whip and a spring for antennas up to 8' that I picked up from the Travel Authority truck stop.

I used to have another spring for my antenna but after it broke in it used to let the antenna flop around all of the place. Then I ran no spring but I like having a spring because it takes a lot of stress off of the antenna and the mount when you run under tree limbs and such. And also, of course, I have a tennis ball stuck on my antenna to soften the "thuds" of when the antenna is swinging around and smacking into the body....

l_76f6ddbcb26a4fe2880f3b10aed483a0.jpg

l_667a084f6730475ba4122356f77ee9c1.jpg

l_178471c35c6646a9b46f059bc5b204de.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.