• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vandenberg AFB POV

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Does anyone in California know if Vandenberg AFB has a spot for folks to come spectate launches?

I got to see Space Shuttle Discovery launch while stationed at Patrick AFB in January 1985. I was there for a 3 week class. Since I was a medic, they allowed me to accompany the disaster response team that was stationed over a 1/4 mile away. We were in a bunker that had very thick glass. It had auto tracking cameras also.

It was absolutely incredible being that close. The sound and vibrations were awesome. Very few people get that close to a launch. It was something I'll never forget.

I also saw the Space Shuttle Enterprise being piggy backed on a flight to Houston. It was flying from california and landed at Biggs Army Air Field, Ft. Bliss, TX. I was walking to the PX when I saw it flying overhead. It was also an incredible site. I believe that was around march of 1978.

I've seen many different rocket launches while station at Bliss. Most were surface to air and air to air tests. They used to take our battery out to fill up the viewing stands when they did VIP launches for big wigs and foreign militay dudes looking to buy or train on different systems.

Brings back old memories. If you can ever get to view any kind of big rocket launch, go for it.

Last edited:
Never got to see the actual launches, but the solid rocket boosters for the shuttle were built about 20 miles from my house at Thiokol. Every once in a while they would lay them on their side, strap them down, and test fire them. Amazing site to see.

Even when I wasn't out there to watch it, it was still impressive. 20 miles away, and it shook the ground. When they did it at night, it lit up the whole sky.

They still do that, but for smaller rockets and missiles. Not as impressive, but that's kind of like saying seven naked supermodels in my bed is not as impressive as ten naked supermodels in my bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSPXSjQ5b-U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.