• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vector 4000 won't even calibrate to set swr

sunsound

Apr 8, 2011
The Great N.W. State of Oregon
Brand new to the forum. Pulled out the old Vector 4000 after years in storage. Set it up to all of the old marks after cleaning it up and making sure all connections were good. Hooked it up to the meter. Got calibration on chnl 1 and swr of 1.1. Went to 23 and could not get a calibration setting. Went back to 1 and could not calibrate. Checked lengths and readjusted to some given here on the forum. Still no matter what I do I can not get it to calibrate. HELP what did I do wrong. Been a long time since I have been on the air. Changed radios, changed swr meters and no difference. Right now my main radiator is 29' 7 1/4" radials are 81.5" At work now and can't remember where the gamma match bracket is set at. Would coax make a difference? Should I ground the antenna. Can't remember if I did that years ago. Base of ant is about 25' on an EMT conduit pole.

If you tried a different radio & a different meter and can't get either meter to show a reading for calibration check the coax between the radio and the meter.

I have also seen this and its due to no output or to low of output from the radio. Some meters requirea certain amount of power to even function as far as calibrating for standing wave ratio.

Coax is new grey, with foam rg8 does not seem to have any problems with it checking with an ohm meter. Can put the radio(s) in the truck and the meters also and everything works fine for all. Do I need to isolate the ant. from the mast? As I said earlier I have tried the stock settings for lengths plus different lengths I have found on this forum and first time out I can get a calibration and get a check on the swr then going to a higher freq. to check again I can not get it to calibrate. Turn the knob to bring the meter up yo the set point and it will only go up to about 3 not all the way to the set position. Definitely has me stumped.

Yes, have even tried different jumpers. Something I just thought of since output of the radio might be low. I have modified a computer power supply to use but I notice it only puts out 12v dc and not 13.8v. maybe I am not getting full power out.

Check the feed point with a multimeter set for continuity. With a gamma match device working correctly you should see a short circuit or show a zero if digital.

If the gamma that is bottomed out, for example, you might have an open circuit and that is not good.

Ok. Check at feed point and try a different power supply maybe. I got this antenna many years ago. Maybe it is not a Vector. It does have the four radials with the hoop but it is made out of (the best way to describe it) corrugated aluminum. No hat on the top of the whip and the whip is adjustable with a set screw and is about .5 inches diameter. Maybe I am using all the wrong lengths. Is that a possibility? Although it seems the dimensions for a Sigma or Vector seem pretty close. And I did set it up to the old marks. Could be some confusion there though, previous owner used it on 10 meter and I am on cb. I do want to thank all of you for responses so quickly. Gives me directions to go. It just seems really funny that at first I could calibrate and then bang couldn't. Really threw me.

That is what this is all about. I have been every where from 31'2"" down to 27'7"" on the main radiator and 81.5"" to 90" on the radials. If you have some other lengths for me to try they would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok. Check at feed point and try a different power supply maybe. I got this antenna many years ago. Maybe it is not a Vector. It does have the four radials with the hoop but it is made out of (the best way to describe it) corrugated aluminum. No hat on the top of the whip and the whip is adjustable with a set screw and is about .5 inches diameter. Maybe I am using all the wrong lengths. Is that a possibility? Although it seems the dimensions for a Sigma or Vector seem pretty close. And I did set it up to the old marks. Could be some confusion there though, previous owner used it on 10 meter and I am on cb. I do want to thank all of you for responses so quickly. Gives me directions to go. It just seems really funny that at first I could calibrate and then bang couldn't. Really threw me.

Sounds to me like the old CTE version of the LW150, and it was a problematic antenna in my opinion. I think the tubing was screwed together using two sheetmetal screws as noted in the attached manual, so only the top element was intended to be used to change frequency from 10,11,12 meter. The manual does not discuss the gamma at all, even though the gamma may tune well tune the antenna any particular length within reason.

I attach what I have that might be the manual that went with this antenna and it is slim to none informative. Note there is a hand note on the tip element being 47.2" long and I assume that is for 11 meters. There is another dimension on the sheet as well. If this sheet does not look to be for your antenna then ignore it.

View attachment IMG.pdf

Like I said, IMP these instructions show the correct length for the tip, and I believe the guy I got this from was intending it for 11 meters, maybe around the high end, but 11 meters. The balance of the antenna should be screwed together for the default length. Like I said, I don't think that CTE intended to adjust any lengths except the tip and the gamma. Same goes for the radials. IMO they were not intended to be adjustable. This is not to suggest they are not, but just to say the antenna was intended to be setup for 11 meters and if you wanted to set it for 10,12 meters, you were on your own.

View attachment IMG_0001.pdf

IMG_1086 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1085 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1084 (640x480).jpg

The dog bone connector for the gamma to the radiator is centered here.

One thing, make sure that the gamma is as close to spliting the difference between the two radial legs it is mounted between. If it is not right the tune may be hopeless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio