• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Very new to radio

klusen

Jan 7, 2016
Hello everyone. Very new to radio and this forum. I'm a kid who lives out on an island in SE asia Probably less than 150 miles across. I'd like to set up some type of radio communication with baofeng uv-5 units. Normal talkies are not really cutting it outside of a mile or so. Sorry for being so uneducated about the topic but I've just been watching HAM videos all day yesterday and though i'd register and get some tips from the pros.

Thank you for any positive feedback.
Have a great day.

The Baofeng units are "regular talkies" to hams and depending on terrain, without the use of a repeater system, have a range of about a mile or so over average ground.

Are you licensed in your country to transmit on the frequencies the Baofengs cover? You may want to check the regulations first before you start transmitting.

The Baofeng units are "regular talkies" to hams and depending on terrain, without the use of a repeater system, have a range of about a mile or so over average ground.

Are you licensed in your country to transmit on the frequencies the Baofengs cover? You may want to check the regulations first before you start transmitting.

Hi RatsoW8! Appreciate the reply. I am not transmitting at this time and I am currently in contact with PARA which is a non-profit organization here locally which seems to be the main organization which helps with licensing etc from the governing body. I really just trying to get to the point where I understand enough about what equipment I need for the purpose I'm needing it for to figure out which class license I'll need to be acquiring. Yes I do plan to be totally legal before I transmit not mainly appease the government but out of the respect of other HAM radio enthusiasts.

I really just need to know what I need to cover an area of about 5 miles of mostly flat terrain (some hills & lots of trees). A repeater system setup at home which can cover 5 miles would probably do it for me, I'm just wondering what band and equipment is needed.

Here is what I've got so far:
2 units uv-5

After you suggesting a repeater system I did do some research and found this:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/repeater.html

Could you suggest a radio to use with the repeater and a compatible antenna? If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear.

Thank you!

There are virtually hundreds of combinations of repeaters, controllers, feed lines, duplexers and antennas that could be used. My suggestion would be to wait for a response from PARA on licensing and frequency allocations and then start looking at your options. Price is also a consideration. Repeater systems get real expensive very quickly. The link below will give you an idea of what I mean by expensive.

http://www.hamradio.com/search.cfm

Chances are PARA will steer you to repeaters already in use in your area.Once you are licensed you will most likely be allowed to use them
RIch

I'd like to set up some type of radio communication with baofeng uv-5 units. Normal talkies are not really cutting it outside of a mile or so.

Klusen,

the distance that you can reach with a Baofeng UV-5 (or any hand held radio) will depend on the antenna that you're using. The small rubber antenna that is provided with the radio is relatively poor but to hit a repeater is normally sufficient.

Now if you want to communicate directly with someone else (radio to radio) then you'll need to upgrade your antenna.

A cheap but great way of doing so would be to use a 2M/70CM ROLL UP J-POLE/SLIM JIM ANTENNA.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=190898779511

You'll need to elevate the antenna as high you can at home or outside in a tree and your performances will be better.

Carl

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.