• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Very Nice Base Amp For Sale

Hahahahah
( pause while I wipe the tears from my eyes)

I am sure that L/one is talking about the fact the the amp we are talking about is well over built so that it has plenty of headroom and can run a 100% duty cycle ( called Brick on the Key) for days on end and never break a sweat.
We all know that he would NEVER run over legal limit ( 1500 watts ) and it is just good RF practice to over built to ensure the re-lie-abilty of your radio gear.
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Jeff

Hahahahah
( pause while I wipe the tears from my eyes)

I am sure that L/one is talking about the fact the the amp we are talking about is well over built so that it has plenty of headroom and can run a 100% duty cycle ( called Brick on the Key) for days on end and never break a sweat.
We all know that he would NEVER run over legal limit ( 1500 watts ) and it is just good RF practice to over built to ensure the re-lie-abilty of your radio gear.
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Jeff

Jeff, that Harris 15Kw amp is in Italy. It seems as if nobody really knows what the true legal limit is in Italy. I know many Italian hams run Ulvin International amps which are made in Spain. They make the Tremendus line of amps with up to 10Kw pep output. For as long as I remember Italy has been a scourge of the airways whether it has been 11m or amateur bands, with the extremely high power operations and extremely rude operator behavior which is only compounded by the power levels they run. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have heard Italian operators calling repeatedly when the DX operator was calling "Stateside only". I could have a setup like Carlo has. BTW, I'm not jealous, just pissed off at them.

Yes I agree with your post, I have no idea what the "legal limit" is in Italy.
I know what the legal limit is here in the US and I have seen some very "over built " legal limit amps here as well.....just to give that margin of headroom so as not to over stress the amp and ensure long life under demanding conditions......

Looking for Contacts in North America only please, Looking for contacts in North America only
:tongue:

Jeff

Well after my last post above I searched the web again and found a forum where an Italian operator claims the legal limit in Italy is 500 watts and only 250 watts on the newly aquired portion of 40m so it looks like we do indeed have a dirty hamster afterall.That seems about right when you look at the legal limits in other European countries where a lot of them can only run 400 watts. :D Just another to go along with all the rest in I-land. I'll never have to worry about exceeding my legal limit of 2,250 watts pep. :censored:

Nice... but not practical. That thing is huge. I couldn't fit that thing into my house much less my radio room. Who has 3phase power at their house?? Prime or Clarence Carter? I sure don't.

Get a large 3 phase AC motor. Feed one phase. Needs a starting capacitor to get it going.

Once running load the other phases for your 15KW ample-fire.

Get a large 3 phase AC motor. Feed one phase. Needs a starting capacitor to get it going.

Once running load the other phases for your 15KW ample-fire.

That usually requires a separate motor to turn the three phase motor/generator. I know a couple broadcast sites that did that when they went to higher power and could not get three phase at the site.

It might surprise some to know that amp could easily be run from a single phase 220 line with a 100 amp breaker for intermittent communications service. Yank the 3 phase plate iron and replace it with a cheap pole pig. The blower motor may have to be replaced too if you can't make it run with a cap. When it comes to RF amps, there is no real requirement for 3 phase so long as you can supply the current without a big voltage drop.

Because that amp is "automatic" it also has very low gain for a 4CX15000. In fact the gain compares to a 3CX15000 because the amp uses resistive loading on the control grid rather then a tuned input. Had it used a tuned input to step the drive impedance up to the control grid, the drive power would be reduced to about 150 watts for 15 KW output.

. Yank the 3 phase plate iron and replace it with a cheap pole pig.

I would like to get my hands on a good used pole pig.

Been searching everywhere in the South Eastern states and none to be had local. If there is I can not locate them.

Harris amp

I here some guys re wire the stock plate iron for single phase. Of course you lose some of your total kva rating but would still have enough for ham use.

As far as voltage drop with a 100 amp breaker you could maybe get away with it on am on cb but on ham running ssb forget about it. The the line voltage fluctuation would cause all sorts of splatter.

Does that amp have a grounded screen like the collins hf 80 amps to help with the regulation of the screen supply and stabity of the output of the tube.

cheerio

Number one do you have three phase power at your home? I think it listed 240/380 three phase power needed. Then you have the fact that it is well beyond the legal limit which means it is recipe for abuse. If you have the power you will use the power does not matter if it is a car an amplifier or power over other's no one is happy holding back the power!Why tempt yourself????

It kind of reminds me of the guy that buys a Mustang then 30K miles latter when he has to put tires on it complains about the price of tires. Like a 500HP car should wear $50 Chevete tires. So take into account the need for 240/380 3 phase power to your shack and the power to run that beast at idle. I am guessing I cook a turkey in my ocean for less money then running that beast for the same amount of time.THink about it it is roughly like running 18 microwaves all at once in your house.

Also think of the coax you will need what Heliax LDF 7-50 and that is if you stick to HF bands and that something like 1 5/8 inch diameter. If you go outside HF into UHF/VHF you will need something even bigger. Connectors and everything gets big and expensive in a hurry. I knew a guy that had a broadcast amplifier that was 10K watts. All the wiring was huge and expensive as where all the connectors. We are not talking setting up an legal limit Ameritron. Ask Capt. Kilowatt how expensive things get at that power level. You would almost have to build your own antena's as well because I doubt many commercial antenna that can take that power are broad band and set up for armature bands and I doubt most broad band Ham antenna's cannot take that kind of power. Your antenna tuner would be a beast.I am guessing it would have to be moderized and have a bunch of either vaccum caps or air variables in a combination of series and parallel to get the right combo of power matching and capacitance. You would have to have moter slaved units because you would not have enough hands to tune them all at once. So I would assume vacuum variables would me the way to go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1