• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VLC Media Player? Anyone useing it?

VLC stands for Video Lan Client, I think, but that was the original purpose of it, to stream video over a network.
It works as an mp3 and video player out the box, not the best video player but a real workhorse, plays almost any format.
As for burning CD's, I doubt a plugin exist
InfraRecorder will burn CD's

I have used VLC in the past to steam videos from my PC to a Wii game system allowing me to watch videos off my laptop or desktop on my TV.

Thanks for your input also M42 Duster! I have always had issues with the Window Media player. It will not playback allot of my MP3 down loads anymore. Put in a disc and it does not recognize that is even there. Just would like to use something that works. I want rip CD's again. Play my all my down loads again. Transfer MP3's to my phone for play back. By the way I am using Windows XP. Usually the only videos I watch are from YouTube or links from local news stations. Tried to uninstall WMP. My machine just wants to put me back to a earlier version. Any suggestions anyone. 73's.

i find it plays just about anything including audio/video ts files (dvd rips) and it handles hd content too,i have also installed k lite mega codec pack which it may or may not use.

wmp is as good at ripping discs as any other, especially with nero plug in, burning them's a different matter, it burns well to music cdr but data cdr's i've had mega trouble with.

if i'm going to copy a disc, i rip it on wmp variable bit rate, then burn it on a music cd, almost indistiguishable on my hifi which disc is which. my jvc xl z 674 and rx6001 mith mission m30 series speakers you can't tell them apart, ripping data discs is best done on nero or something similar and won't be playable on older cd players that dont read mp3 cdr's, whereas ripping at vbr and burning to music disc will play on any cd player, but you only get one album per cd.

I used cdex to rip but i have not done CD in years so the creators of cdex may have sold out to evil (bundled malware) best to read reviews and not from some shill either. That is true for any software

I use it for all movie related material. 110% over here. If you want/need to rip CDs get NERO

Sent from my SCH-i605 on Verizon 4G LTE.

The key word here is "player". Thats all I use it for when my standard Windows 7 player chokes on a media file. I have a number of players installed. I have so many different tools sitting on the sidelines ready to go because one widget is never enough. There are a number of Freeware tools that excel in CD ripping (as mentioned CDex, Media Monkey, EZ CD , etc.) Don't rely on one widget to do it all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.