• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Voyage VR 9000 squeal

I have a Voyage vr9000 I just got off ebay. Radio looks like new and sounds awesome with loud audio and great receive swings around 30w. My problem is I keep hearing that this radio has talkback but i see no control for it. When I turn on my amp and key the radio I get a nasty squealing you can hear in the amp itself and the power shoots up to 300w asap. I can turn amp off and radio alone talks fine with no squeals. I also hear no talkback from this radio even with the echo turned on. I have been seeing ways to disconnect the talkback on this radio by cutting a wire but my radio has no wire there to cut. I just want to be able to run this radio with my amp it's a kl-503...

use at least a 12 foot jumper from ya radio to the amplifier. ;)

Problem found and fixed. The problem I found was that I was running my amp and the VR9000 from the same PS-36kx power supply. I was hearing the squeal inside of the power supply So I thought to myself lets run the radio off a 12v battery and just leave the amp on the power supply. Bammmm problem solved when I seperated them. Run radio from battery and amp from power supply no squealing of any kind. Now I have no idea what was going on there and why it was doing that but im sure someone will be able to fill in the answer. Thank you all for all the help trying to figure out this problem.

Reactions: 1 person
Problem found and fixed. The problem I found was that I was running my amp and the VR9000 from the same PS-36kx power supply. I was hearing the squeal inside of the power supply So I thought to myself lets run the radio off a 12v battery and just leave the amp on the power supply. Bammmm problem solved when I seperated them. Run radio from battery and amp from power supply no squealing of any kind. Now I have no idea what was going on there and why it was doing that but im sure someone will be able to fill in the answer. Thank you all for all the help trying to figure out this problem.

A power supply(Pyramid)can run all day long at 60% of it's rating. Anything more means taxing it beyond it's design. What state of charge is the battery in? What kind of battery? I found some links on power supply squealing on computers. Check this out. I haven't read it yet>
http://www.amazon.com/review/R4AEEZUCBEL6X

Last edited:
I have a Voyage vr9000 I just got off ebay. Radio looks like new and sounds awesome with loud audio and great receive swings around 30w. My problem is I keep hearing that this radio has talkback but i see no control for it. When I turn on my amp and key the radio I get a nasty squealing you can hear in the amp itself and the power shoots up to 300w asap. I can turn amp off and radio alone talks fine with no squeals. I also hear no talkback from this radio even with the echo turned on. I have been seeing ways to disconnect the talkback on this radio by cutting a wire but my radio has no wire there to cut. I just want to be able to run this radio with my amp it's a kl-503...
I have one just like that and I had to take my talk back compleatly
Out there is too much rf and it will squeal big time
Try that and double groin EVERYTHING twice

273 a wan in the bluegrass

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.