• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-7R and softmod with VX7 Commander

Jacksbugs

Dec 29, 2010
Hello everybody,
I just bought a VX-7R on ebay from a reseller in Hong Kong.
The model is an EXP/B3 that seems to have been manufactured this year.

I tried to unlock the TX band (freeband) using the great VX7 Commander software but I faced a problem. ;)
In the software mod menu, there's a "button for dummies" labeled "Freeband".
So I clicked on it and followed the procedure to send the configuration to the transceiver. Well, it doesn't seem to work at all even if I don't get "clone errors". Each time I read from the VX-7R, I end up with the same virtual jumpers from the beginning, checked on the mod menu (2 and 4) :headbang

Is there a special virtual jumper configuration for this particular model ? or worse, are the newest ones not programable with the VX commander software ? :cry:

Thank you for your help.

I think the default settings in the software are for the U.S. version of the VX-7R. I believe the "EXP" version you have is the European/Export version. I found a web page that explains how to open up that version by physically removing all the jumpers:

Ote and note: FREEBAND/WIDEBAND/MARS-CAP MOD FOR YAESU VX-7r

(Scroll down the page)

However, I think you may be able to mod the radio using the software. After you select the "Enable Software Mods" box you can uncheck all the jumpers (same as removing them all as indicated in the link above). You may need to reset the radio by holding down the MON/F, HM/RV and Internet keys at the same time while powering up the radio after changing the virtual jumpers. Before you start, read the original settings from your radio and save them. Then save them again under a different name. Keep one file so you can restore to factory settings and use the other to do the modifications.

Thank you for your help,
I'm gonna try this with the software(don't want to mess with the jumpers) and hope it will work...
Is there a way to restore the radio to factory settings without the backup (just in case something goes wrong with the file..) ?

I'm not aware of an alernate method of restoring the radio to factory specs. I transfered a copy of the original file onto a CD for safe keeping. That way if I have a HD failure I can still restore the radio. Good luck...hope the software works for you.

Well, I tried the software with every jumpers unchecked.
I'm not sure if I have to follow the procedure completely...Especially about the reset procedure with internet+mon/f+hm/rv. With the software method, you're not supposed to make the reset?

I did reset the first try and something weird happened. I got the Yaesu logo and could only RX/TX on the 50/144/430 frequency range.
After the second attempt, It came back to normal. But the all jumpers unchecked seem to enable only MARS/CAP TX (but I'm not really sure, need to check the TX range).

Hello! Someone who has the yaesu vx 7r, unlocked, can take the test at the frequency 42.7 MHz and tell me if it has the power to TX and RX 30 meters? I'm behind this answer for a long time, if anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!
Thank you!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.