• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-7R vs VX-8R

deputyjoel

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 18, 2009
I'm just about ready to drop my cash on one of these rigs. The VX-7R is the direction I'm leaning, but since it came out in 2002 and the VX-8R is the newest in the series and only about $80.00 more, I want to be sure I make a good decision. I've read and re-read all the specs and info I could find, but there is no substitute for using the rig, so I would appreciate any input from those of you who have owned or used these two rigs. What is the functional difference? I know the 8R has the ARPS and optional blue tooth and GPS. Any info or advice is always appreciated!

I know the 8R has the ARPS and optional blue tooth and GPS.

That is what sold me on the VX-8R.

If you NEVER see yourself using those features.....

Here is one additional thought.
I bought the latest and greatest. I will continue to run this HTuntil it dies (or I need a new function). If I buy a second HT, it will be the same as the first to have compatible stuff (software and hardware).

Buy once cry once.

VX-7 vs. VX-8

I know nothing about the VX-7 as I have never owned one but have read online plenty about it's features compared to the VX-8R. I will say that others have hit it on the head by saying that if you don't want/ need APRS, Bluetooth etc. than the extra money will be better served towards accessories like a speaker mic, batteries and the like.

I just recently purchased a VX-8R and so far it's very impressive and is very rugged and easy to use once you get used to the radio. I looked at several other HT's on the market and considered the Icom 92 but decided against it as the D-star repeater closest to me is 125 miles away. The VX-6 and VX-7 I also considered but quickly ruled out the VX-6 because of lack of dual receive. The VX-7 and VX-8R were the only choices and decided to go with the VX-8 (glad I did by the way) for all of it's functions and if I wanted to use the extra goodies than I could and not have to buy a whole new HT. I use APRS and have a Kenwood TM-D710 in the car so this was an easy win over the VX-7. Your decision and reasons will vary as everyone has different applications and needs. Regardless of mine I am happy I spent the extra money and have no regrets. Mike KC2PLJ-7

The VX-8 seems better built. I think it has more power on 1.25m band and it has a separate AM/FM receiver chip. I think the specs are very similar, so the only thing that really stands out are features and build.

I think those are worth the $80 more...

Don't forget about 220Mhz on the VX8r. There is quite a bit of activity on 220 around me, but I realize that it isn't that active everywhere.

APRS can be a lot of fun if you want to play with it...

Thanks everyone for your input! I've decided to go ahead and get the VX-8R. Newest design, a few more features and appears to be easier to access features. Even if I don't use or need all the features, I definitely subscribe to the philospohy that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! Thanks again, this is a great forum where I know I will get plenty of good advice, information and opinions!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.