• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR Owners, Need Your Help

BMart

Aug 14, 2012
Hello,

I was wondering if any current Yaesu VX-8DR owners could help me out and test some frequencies for me before I make a big purchase. I have heard that the VX-8DR doesn't have the stepping resolution required to access the frequencies listed below. One 8DR user I talked to reported that he put in the following frequencies, and it 'corrected' to the nearest compatible step. It seems odd to me since the user manual states that the 8DR's frequency steps can go down to 5kHz. Hopefully someone can clear up my confusion with a quick test on an actual 8DR.

So, can the VX-8DR access the following freqs without correcting? Picture proof would be ideal. Also, please specify whether or not you have performed any modifications to your HT, and what your 8DR's frequency steps are set to (Menu #96).

Thanks for your time.

Non-modified 8DR
#96 was originally set to AUTO and would not allow your frequencies.
Changed to 5K and no problem.

I think AUTO is the default for that setting as I don't recall every changing it.

Mike

snip...
So, can the VX-8DR access the following freqs without correcting? Picture proof would be ideal. Also, please specify whether or not you have performed any modifications to your HT, and what your 8DR's frequency steps are set to (Menu #96).

Thanks for your time.

Thank you for the replies, I figured that was the case. Any hypothesis as to why auto frequency stepping does not allow selecting in 5kHz increments?

No clue and work around known. Likely that some bands benefit using AUTO, but other bands have variable step sizes from end to end and one does not work for all.

Thank you for the replies, I figured that was the case. Any hypothesis as to why auto frequency stepping does not allow selecting in 5kHz increments?

Just for future readers, this is why auto-stepping didn't work . Excerpt from the VX-8DR manual: "The VX-8DR/DE is set up at the factory with different default steps for each operating band." So basically, AUTO isn't dynamic and intelligent, it is simply a static stepping recommendation that is referenced based on the band you are using. Same for the VX-8GR too, as I have tested first hand.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.