• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR - which extended battery?

JohnnyScience

Jun 10, 2011
Ok I've found two different extended batteries for the VX-8DR

2000mAh Li-ION Battery from Batteries America for $45.95

Or

2000mAh Li-ION batter from iMax Expert off of Ebay for $39.50

The price is pretty similar so not too worried about that. Is anyone familiar with these companies and know which one would produce the best battery?

The only requirement I have is the radio being able to fit into a cradle to charge and know sometimes this is an issue with the extended batteries.

I'm looking at picking up 2 of them.

Thanks.

I also have had good luck, with the Batteries America, 2000mAh.

Plus, the older couple that work at/own had great customer service. I think that I paid $40 plus about $6 shipping, instead of the current price.

They are, probably, the same manufacture, though.

So I ordered 2 of the 2000mAH batteries from batteries america for my VX-8DR & after receiving them I found out the batteries are not waterproof & therefore neither is the radio now, which defeats the purpose of spending hundreds more dollars for a true waterproof radio.

Really sucks.

Does anyone know if the 1800mAH batteries offered by Yaesu are indeed waterproof? (I would assume & hope so)

Also does anyone know if there is a charger that will plug into a USB port for this radio?

The 1800 mah battery is identical to the 1100. So it should be just as waterproof. On everything I buy I have learned to use genuine batteries. While I have never had your type of problem, something else would go wonky.

Can't answer the second question.
Tim

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

So taking a look at the Batteries America & the Yaesu batteries, they both appear to be exactly the same, no additional rubber seal is on the Yaesu battery.

When I remove the battery from the radio, I see that the battery terminals inside are safe with a green rubber seal.

But I'm wondering/worried about the outside contacts on the battery that are for using in a drop in charger - do you guys think these getting wet is going to be an issue?

Obviously the lithium battery inside is sealed, so I don't see how that could get wet?

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 241
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 143
So........But I'm wondering/worried about the outside contacts on the battery that are for using in a drop in charger - do you guys think these getting wet is going to be an issue?

Obviously the lithium battery inside is sealed, so I don't see how that could get wet?

What do you guys think?

Anyone have any ideas?

Realistically, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sure the "water", itself, is a conductor, and if completely submerged, will short out.

But if you are like most of us, you might drop it in the water, quickly retrieve it, take the battery off, shake everything as dry as you can, swear a few times, call yourself a Dumb@ss, put it back together and cross your fingers as it turns back on.

And if you had the antenna screwed on tightly and don't have any tears in your buttons or membranes/speaker, you'll be fine......

Maybe you should attach it to a Lanyard, so it never hits the ground/water.......

Good Luck.....

But the VX-8DR is capable of being completely submerged...

So I shouldn't have to worry about it & apparently the radio itself is what is IPX certified to be waterproof.

There are no rubber O rings around the Yaesu or the Batteries America battery, so the only concern was the metal contacts for the drop in charger since the lithium battery itself is also sealed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.