• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Washington key up noise

liquidh8

Aug 7, 2011
Ok, So I was talking skip and local tonight on my President Washington, 858PLL. Then talking to a buddy, I ended up developing a noise when I first key up the mic. I tried 4 different mics, stock cobra's. cobra power, and Astatic red devil. All do the same thing. You can actually see it it on my DOSY meters, when I key up, the wattage goes to 1, then 0, then when I talk it is fine. It is new and I am at a loss. Any idea's? :confused:

This is thru the transmit, I can't here it, the other person can.

9C1, sorry, I posted this same as you did yours, see next post

Last edited:
SSB. As far as i can tell, I didn't have a local friend to tell me if it was on AM too. But in SSB, I first key, the dosy moves, and my buddy hears the noise transmitting, like a squeak he said.

Brand new to me.

Well, it is like a chirp/squeak, not on AM it seems. I replaced all the little disc caps right at the mic jack, nothing changed. I guess I'll try and start replacing all the caps in the TX circuit? Maybe on of those old electrolytics are bad? I'll be recapping the WHOLE radio anyway in a day or two, but I really wanna know what happened. The AM regulator is new. I am at a loss, with me, when something crops up, something worst always follows, lol

Washington 1 - YouTube

quick vid

Well, it is like a chirp/squeak, not on AM it seems. I replaced all the little disc caps right at the mic jack, nothing changed. I guess I'll try and start replacing all the caps in the TX circuit? Maybe on of those old electrolytics are bad? I'll be recapping the WHOLE radio anyway in a day or two, but I really wanna know what happened. The AM regulator is new. I am at a loss, with me, when something crops up, something worst always follows, lol

Washington 1 - YouTube

quick vid

all i hear is popcorn a popping

was orville redenbacher nearby ?

I did that already with the relay, pulled it out of the socket, pulled the plastic cover, used contact cleaner and compressed ait and blew it all out. Still doing it though.

The popcorn noise, it was raining pretty hard in my garage, lol

I think that some receive audio is coming through the audio amp/modulator after you keyup instead of shutting off immediately. To verify this, first turn the volume control down all the way and keyup. if the problem goes away, turn the volume control back up and turn the squelch all the way on, keyup and check again. Let me know what happens.

I think that some receive audio is coming through the audio amp/modulator after you keyup instead of shutting off immediately. To verify this, first turn the volume control down all the way and keyup. if the problem goes away, turn the volume control back up and turn the squelch all the way on, keyup and check again. Let me know what happens.

Still does it, volume all the down, RF gain, squelch, and every combo of the 3
:(

I just got my washington back from a former friend last night. he replaced the voltage regulator and some caps that were bad. it talks really good now but it has a key up "fart" as best as I can explain it. he told me it developed this as some point recently and couldnt figure out where it was comming from. it only does it on side band. i'll try some of the repairs suggested here and see where it goes from there.
I hope this key up noise isnt contagious :blink:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.