• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what 10m antenna would you put on this car and where?

Seriously, I would just use the 102.
It is the best performing antenna, offers good bandwidth, and is a basic antenna that not much will go wrong with.
Yes, the ball mount on the side of the car is ugly, but for me, it is not a big deal to attack the side with a hole-saw... been there, done it got the shirt.
You can also use the same mount with a multitude of "hamstick" style antennas for other bands, or a Autotuner with the 102 to work 10 through 20 meters with fairly good results.
If you already have the mount and 102....it is about the lowest cost.

Jeff

P.S. There is a guy around here with about the same car, he runs a Yaesu ATAS on a ball mount on the side and it works very well, the Ball Mount is black and really is not that bad looking......from a Hams point of view.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
As far as the radio is concerned, at these frequencies the longer the antenna the better up to ¼λ (near that 102's length). The best place to mount an antenna is the middle of the roof with a solid permanent mount. Anything else is a compromise.

Many people, however, are concerned about how their car looks, and some use very small antennas in a very compromised spot, which is fine if you want to talk to someone a few car lengths away on the highway, but not so much if you want to talk to that friend that happens to be 20 miles away or work some DX.

In the end it is a balancing act and what priorities you give looks vs performance. Many people find a 5 foot antenna mounted a little farther back than center on your type of vehicle doesn't look half bad and offers acceptable performance. In my opinion such an antenna actually enhances the look of many vehicles.

If looks are a big concern for you I would see if someone you know has an extra magnet mount antenna lying around and see if you can put it in said spot on your car (or even move it around some).

The DB

Reactions: 2 people
If it was my car....

I'd put a Wilson 1000 or 5000 roof mount.
No doubt the SS whip is the best way. I still find plenty of people to talk with using the Wilson roof mount. I also sleep well at nights by not letting the performance differences of the 102" consume my thoughts.

I think you would be happy with a good ol' Wilson roof/magnet mount or something similar.

on my car before i sold it i used a hustler Model CG-144 for 2 meters and 10 meters. i still have it just not got another car as of yet. i know it is for 2 meters but is resonant on ten meters too. one of them little secrets i guess. it worked fine for me made many contacts local and distance with it. had it on a ball mount on rear drivers side fender. 73s midnight special

Given the two antennas specified, I think I'd use the 102" whip. Where would I put it? I'd put it the place where it'd be the most 'compatible' (that includes 'looks' and 'significant-others' opinions). The three 'broad' areas would be the bumper, on the side, or the roof. Trying to stay 'practical' with it is also a very good idea. I think I'd tend toward a side mount myself. The bumper get's really 'odd' with how bumpers are constructed now, but it's certainly 'do-able'! The roof is probably the least attractive alternative from the 'practical' view point.
So. Up to you.
- 'Doc

Seriously, I would just use the 102.
It is the best performing antenna, offers good bandwidth, and is a basic antenna that not much will go wrong with.
Yes, the ball mount on the side of the car is ugly, but for me, it is not a big deal to attack the side with a hole-saw... been there, done it got the shirt.
You can also use the same mount with a multitude of "hamstick" style antennas for other bands, or a Autotuner with the 102 to work 10 through 20 meters with fairly good results.
If you already have the mount and 102....it is about the lowest cost.

Jeff

P.S. There is a guy around here with about the same car, he runs a Yaesu ATAS on a ball mount on the side and it works very well, the Ball Mount is black and really is not that bad looking......from a Hams point of view.

The only difference to Jeff's statement that I would add is that I would mount the antenna on the top/center of the vehicle. You can always unscrew the antenna from the mount and stash it inside the car when necessary . . .

Reactions: 1 person
I'm working on a small car as a daily and I plan to put a trucker 1000 on a hood side mount. Put it around the location that stereo antennas are mounted before putting them in the glass. A trunk mount won't work for me because it hits the back glass and roof...but you could use a trunk mount on the lip of the rear hatch.

As long as it's YOUR car and I don't have to put up with living with it, I'd say put a 1/4 wave antenna in the center of the roof. But if it were my car and I did have to live with it, I think I'd start thinking seriously about one of the fenders or maybe the bumper, you know? It's like driving around a vehicle that's 10 - 12 feet tall, there are things you just won't be able to do or go to anymore (at least without some preparations first). The performance won't be -quite- as good as if the thing was on the roof, but the difference isn't going to be earth shattering at all. Considering the alternatives, it isn't that big'a compromise. YMMV naturally...
- 'Doc

i used a hustler Model CG-144 for 2 meters and 10 meters.

I have also used the CG-144 on 2/10 meters, I always wonder why New-Tronics never mention this in any of the sales literature for the antenna.
On top of that, it kicks ass on 2 meters for long haul mobile work.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.