• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What do you think of Baofeng?

Junk, but if all you have is $40.00, they are better than nothing. Be smart, save $150.00 and buy a Yaesu FT-60. Tough as nails and they work fantastic, 5 watts on UHF also. I do have one a UV-5R and never use it. It's just a back up, but with the FT-60, it may never get used.

73's John KF7VXA

Not junk.

They are far from being junk. They passed the spectrum analyzer test. It is true they are very difficult to program manually; but program easily with software. They don't work well on simplex operation because they have barn-door wide reception but work soundly on repeaters. So, they are a mixed bag. But if their limitations are understood, they are a huge bargain for the new Ham - IMO . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I've found most of them, ESPECIALLY the UV5R's, to come under-deviated from the factory; this apparently so that the internal condenser mic will NOT pick up much background noise (say for example more than 2" away from the face of the radio.) Therefore, to get them to properly deviate, you MUST close talk them.

I would NOT advise disassembling the unit and attempting to adjust the FM deviation internally however (if there IS such an adjustment in these models) chiefly BECAUSE once you run an external lapel or speaker microphone, you'll get PLENTY of deviation and/or background noise. So be advised.

Other than that, they represent a pretty good value with perhaps the MOST bang for the buck out there today.

For example, back in 1991, the very first piece of BRAND NEW Amateur gear I ever bought was an Alinco DJ-560T, dual band handheld, that, in 1991 money, costs $399.95. And then, on top of that, I had to buy the drop in charger, additional NiCad battery packs, a dual band 'gain' ducky, a handheld speaker mic, car charger, etc....... it all adds up. (Thankfully, it has (and continues to) given me reliable service these past 23+ years... so it has 'paid' for itself.) Compare this however to Baofeng, and for the money I paid in 1991, in TODAY's dollars, I could equip my WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD with Baofengs, <spelling> with ALL the accessories, for LESS $$$.

Having said that, my FAVORITE handheld is: the Kenwood TH-F6A, AWESOME little tribander that can do everything my Alinco can, PLUS 220, PLUS wideband HF receive WITH SSB/AM/CW receive on HF. I do believe this (somewhat long in the tooth) Kenwood model represents the absolute MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK out there. Not only can I use it as a VHF/UHF FM transceiver, but I can use it as an HF receiver for a compact QRP CW transmitter when backpacking, etc., should I so desire.

Reactions: 2 people
Having said that, my FAVORITE handheld is: the Kenwood TH-F6A, AWESOME little tribander that can do everything my Alinco can, PLUS 220, PLUS wideband HF receive WITH SSB/AM/CW receive on HF. I do believe this (somewhat long in the tooth) Kenwood model represents the absolute MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK out there. Not only can I use it as a VHF/UHF FM transceiver, but I can use it as an HF receiver for a compact QRP CW transmitter when backpacking, etc., should I so desire.

A good cheap tri-band is the TYT-3r. Its sold as a dual band but a simple check box on the software open the 220 band at full two watts output. They go for about $50.

I'm still very happy with both units that I purchased. The UV-5R and Plus models, and now the price is even lower than before, between 32 and 38 dollars shipped. I agree the front end is susceptible to interference. However, I use mine as Robb described, and have not issues whatsoever via the local repeaters. A fun little radio, and for the money, I don't think you can beat it.

Now I'm wondering if Audioshockwave actually bought one or not...

Brett

Now I'm wondering if Audioshockwave actually bought one or not...

I have a couple of HT`s for my own use, this was for work.
And no we have not purchased any new radios yet.
Our work radio are getting old and starting to suffer from loose headset jacks, and other symptoms of old age.
And our work environment is a bit rough on radios.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Better than my kenwood

I had a broken antenna that had some crazy SWR and it burned out a kenwood! But the UV-5R Survived. Hope I can get that nice kenwood fixed!

A lot of things are reliable, but china still hasn't got everything right! My first 5R's power button got screwed up, returned it, second one had a dead mike, returned that, and 3rd had a loose PTT, returned that, but my fourth has been lasting 6 months good, so I guess theyh are :thumbdown:(y)

By the way, they are not difficult to program manually, just enter the recieving frequency, go to mem-chan menu, and press the menu twice on the channel you want, then enter the transmitting memory, go to mem-chan and do same, the only thing you can't do is have channel names, with that, you need a computer

UV5R

I've owned the UV5R for several years, like others I have replaced the stock antenna with an aftermarket, I also purchased the larger capacity NIMH battery.

Others have had issues, but not me, including the cable and also the software.

Would I purchase another ? More than likely.....Mac

It's a great bargain for a disposable dual band HT. Simplex QSOs at over 90 miles away for $40, what's to complain about? If you want DStar, break out the credit card. If you want to get on the air for money you can find in the couch, why not?

It IS a bit like riding a scooter, you really don't want to be seen on it, but that's our secret.

It's a great bargain for a disposable dual band HT. Simplex QSOs at over 90 miles away for $40, what's to complain about? If you want DStar, break out the credit card. If you want to get on the air for money you can find in the couch, why not?

It IS a bit like riding a scooter, you really don't want to be seen on it, but that's our secret.

90 miles away? How are you doing that?

Happy with mine. Fixing to start deploying them at the plant, can't beat the cost for the radio and larger battery. 4W output works fine with our in plant BDA.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.