• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What ga. wire on PDLII?

preacherman

Feb 21, 2006
Northern Illinois
I have a PDL2 I'm going to assemble in the spring, but need to buy the wire that goes around the perimiter of the radials. Does anybody know what ga. copper wire I should be using? The manual does not specify.
tnx,
preacherman...

The size of wire isn't critical at all. As long as it's strong enough to not pull apart, and not stretch a lot, it'll work just fine. Solid/stranded are both okay. 'Weaved' of braided wire isn't the best thing in the world, wouldn't fool with that. Otherwise, whatever you've got the most of is 'right'.
- 'Doc

That made up set of wires looks cool on ebay. I wonder if it realy will work since the measurements need to be exact.

If it did work that would be very simple compared to trying to put that long wire around the antenna.

Roger

Roger,
Would that set for sale on 'eBay' really work? I'm sure it would. Would it work better than a set of home-made wires? Depends only on how much care you took in making your own set. Sometimes it certainly would work 'better', others, no.
Sort of depends on how much it's worth to you, i$n't it?
- 'Doc

I would never pay what their asking for it because I checked what it would cost me to do it.

It just looks easy to do and easy to put on the antenna so I think I will try my own home made wires like those on ebay.

Roger

$45.00 will buy a lot of wire and solder terminals.That arrangment will work no better or worse that a single wire.Bottom line is that if a wire breaks you still have to get to the antenna to repair it. A friend of mine used that idea on his two element quad years ago.He admitted it was a lot of work measuring and soldering and bolting compared to looping a single wire.

yea maybe your right, I thought about it and it would not be easyer or much less time in fack prob more time to get it right.

Thanks for making me think, I dont do that to often anymore.

Roger

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.