• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what happens to transformers in scrapped transceivers?

exces3

Sep 4, 2012
If I came across 4 transformers from
junked (for example) TS 520s or 820s .

I could build a nice 400w amp from a Russian
tube or two.

Possible? Yes. Proper? No. As long as the voltage and current ratings are what is required fine however using multiple transformers to make up one power supply is not a very good idea as the weight will generally be heavier than a single transformer and unless the transformers are perfectly identical in every way one may try to provide more voltage/current than the others and overheat/burn out. Over all it is just a messy and very much inferior way to do it.

I have found you can buy commercial microwave oven transformers used on eBay for very little money. Some may know these transformers are not designed for continuous use because they skimp on the amount of copper they place on the primary. This causes the core to heat even under no load since there is not enough inductance to appear as an open with no load.

For that reason, I recommend the commercial oven transformers because they have a 220 volt primary that can be fired up on 110 volts. This lower primary voltage can be handled continuously and results in a secondary voltage that is more appropriate for many amplifier tubes.

Note: Most microwave transformers tie one side of the HV secondary to the transformer core for half wave rectification. This connection is usually accessible and should be isolated so that a full wave rectifier can be used.

Capt KW and Shock..
thanks for your comments

as for , mess, weight, and size,
I would build the PS in a crate,
and put it in an, unused adjacent room.

t-frmr from a commercial, microwave oven.
good idea, where would I look,
some kind of scrap yard for commercial electric stuff??
what would be the likely rating for kv and ma?

I've purchased them from eBay before. The largest ones were rated at about 2KW intermittent use. They typically produce just over 2000 volts when fed with the full primary voltage. They run comfortable around half that output when fired up on 110 volts into the 220 primary.

dxChat
Help Users