• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What have you done in/on ham radio this week?

bobcat115,

I think you make more kewl DX contacts than all of us. I'm jealous :).

I have a few projects I've been working on this week...I'll be posting about them, with pics shortly. ;)

I didn’t get the memories organized the way I wanted to. Maybe that will happen this week.

I APRS most of the way across 4 states going both ways. I also made a few contact on the local repeaters as I drove, but to be honest in the areas where I expected to have good signal the traffic was tighter than I liked so I opted to stay safe and just listen and drive.

Side note: With 5W transmit and a mag mounted antenna, I can receive long after the other end can not hear me.

I got my first amature rig today, a 2m converted midland LMR, I took some scrap wire, a short run of coax, a plastic curtain rod thingie and some tape, 10 minutes later the thing was hangin by fishin line up in a tree, and I was on the air, able to hit repeaters loud and clear 70 miles away (being up on a 3,000' mountain might have helped a little bit.).

I got my first amature rig today, a 2m converted midland LMR, I took some scrap wire, a short run of coax, a plastic curtain rod thingie and some tape, 10 minutes later the thing was hangin by fishin line up in a tree, and I was on the air, able to hit repeaters loud and clear 70 miles away (being up on a 3,000' mountain might have helped a little bit.).

Nice :)

Last week I started playing with my new Super Antenna YP-3 portable 3 element 6, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 meter yagi. Now I'm starting to write the review.

Oh yeah, APRS between L.A. and Phoenix works GREAT on the yaesu vx 8 with a small external antenna.

The elevation of the repeaters on the ridges out in the desert can do amazing things for an HT. While out in NV on vacation in Vegas, I was shocked at what a 7k ft 440 repeater can do on 300mW from an HT heh. Only airplanes are that high in NJ.

Not THIS week, but I indicated in a previous post that I had done a few things that I would post about later. Here's a pic of that:

moleculo-albums-superantenna-yp-3-3-element-portable-yagi-picture1413-20-meter-superantenna-yp-3-above-rv.jpg

Fixed a 440 repeater this weekend. Pulled a PA module out of line and rewired for low drive feed directly into the final PA. Discovered a blown up GAsFET and a poorly soldered shielded cable from a SAME alert weather station that were dragging in a paging system. Learned a lot...it's a new world for me.

I built this mic pre-amp and EQ kit about 18mos ago and never really felt it was doing much for me.

Baby3sx

It bugged me and I had a Shure 522 kicking around and after someone's posting here about that very mic and the output level being on the low side, I decided to drag out that kit and really go over it again carefully, piece by piece. What did I find? One cap, reversed polarity. FIXED! Now that little sucker is working exactly as it should and my 522 has all the gain in the world...really nice pairing with that mic.

Not sure I posted it before, but my 55Ah battery is now all wired in place with the super power gate...I now have automatic shack battery backup power. Now I just need to make up some LED lights for the shack area and a relay to pop them on when the main power drops.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.