• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What! I don't need no stinking amp!

BJ radionut

Supporting Member and 6m addict
May 9, 2008
35 miles East of Indianapolis
Well I got to play a little tonight during the NAQCC Sprint...only about 80 minutes from first QSO to last. Conditions were anything but good but did manage 10 different states...FL/VA/NC/GA/NJ/NE/IL/KS/TX/NM...Not all that bad for a homebrew wire dipole and a monster output power of 5 WATTS...yes I said 5 WATTS...maybe even a little less...Those of you that have tried and worked Qrp understand how much of a blast it can be. I worked a station in NC and another in GA both were S9 and were 5 watters also...hence my title...Oh well best get to bed getting late here in Indiana.
All the Best
BJ

What band were you on?

I have learned through out the years that an amp is really not necessary unless you’re on 160 meters or trying to break some world record or something.

Park: I made the first few contacts on 40 mtrs then switched to 80 mtrs. Mostly around 3560 +/- a couple kc's...I used my old J37 straight key( Lionel WW II vintage) and had 2 blow off a little rust from my fist...The surgery I had done about 3 weeks ago affected my control a little, but by the end of it all I started finding my rhythm again.

The NAQCC group is really special I think in their approach to CW. They encourage use of straight keys, simple antennas an RadioFun. Those of us that never melt down the brass at 25 wpm+ can climb in with the best of them. I ALWAYS try and pick out some op's who are in the lower speed end and give the points...I simply remember what it was like struggling along at 5 to 10 wpm and the only way to beat that is to get on and make contacts.

Qrp CW is one of those great things Ham Radio has to offer.

NAQCC is now the fastest growing club in the world...with over 3000 active members. I am #77...They have done a great service to Amateur Radio in helping preserve the grand old art of CW whether you operate 5 wpm or 50 wpm there's a place for you in this group...Newbie just starting out or old goat they will welcome you... (y)
All the Best
BJ/W9FNB

NAQCC Introduction

Yes, I use to love CW with a straight key! I'm fist # 9223 cc# 1330. I have not been on CW though for about five years, you know how we go through these "cycles" with our hobbies. I'll listen down there this weekend and see if I hear anything, I'm in central Texas.

73, AC5PS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.