• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the deal with the echo??

gallileo60

Aug 23, 2009
Gulf Coast, Texas
Good god, got my Station (CB) back on the air after an absence of a couple of years, and it seems like everybody, and his brother has become an echo freak..It sounds terrible, hard to understand, and ridiculous as well..I like my trans audio to be as clean as FM Broadcast..I guess this is just personal choice, and maybe a small amount would help something, (Im not sure what tho).Been on 2 meters for a while since Hurricane Ike took my tower, and trusty Maco down..Oh well rant off...On a lighter note, this is a wonderful site, and I look forward to posting, and lurking here...Tom

Welcome to the boards.

Yea everywhere you go, or everytime you try to do something. Theres someone ass somewhere that would like to ruin it for you.

Good Luck and have fun.

Oh yeah, ive been on the air as Gallileo since the 70's, used to have a call KFW4568...lol...Been a ham for quite a while, Dad was from the 1930's...Just lost a lot of my gear during Ike, and am just now trying to get it together again..Thanks for the welcome guys...Really its a welcome back....Have a great weekend all.....Tom KD5YQF

Welcome aboard Tom, As mentioned if you like AM then get use to the echo and roger beeps noise toys ETC because your going to get an earfull. SSB has way less most of the time none of that garbage but at times some lonely AM user strag;er works his way to SSB because hes bored or nobody will talk to his noise making @$$ so he torments SSB.

What amateur frequencies or bands do you use?? Maybe Ill catch you on sometime I mostly use 75 meters 3.913.00 They refer to me as Tony 2 because theres 2 Tonys in our group.

i like a slight double talk rather than echo , but most echos i here are set to high .

Good god, got my Station (CB) back on the air after an absence of a couple of years, and it seems like everybody, and his brother has become an echo freak..It sounds terrible, hard to understand, and ridiculous as well..I like my trans audio to be as clean as FM Broadcast..I guess this is just personal choice, and maybe a small amount would help something, (Im not sure what tho).Been on 2 meters for a while since Hurricane Ike took my tower, and trusty Maco down..Oh well rant off...On a lighter note, this is a wonderful site, and I look forward to posting, and lurking here...Tom

A bunch of Export radios sound rather unimpressive without the echo/reverb on. I bought a General Lee a while back and with the reverb on, the audio was blaring loud.....turn off the echo and the audio is just average. Most people have their echo/reverbs set horribly wrong. Personally I would rather lend an illegal immigrant $100 than run a dual final export.

A bunch of Export radios sound rather unimpressive without the echo/reverb on. I bought a General Lee a while back and with the reverb on, the audio was blaring loud.....turn off the echo and the audio is just average. Most people have their echo/reverbs set horribly wrong. Personally I would rather lend an illegal immigrant $100 than run a dual final export.

Ok Senor, You maybe needing my address?
LOL!

Some of us local CBers will occasionally have fun with the echo and noise toys....but its just fun.....what I dislike are the buttheads that sometimes get pissed off for some reason and start playing recordings on the air for long periods.....we had some a-hole who ran a siren for months.:thumbdown:

Reactions: 1 person
All of these answers and no one has stated the obvious reason yet. :whistle:

Everyone knows that echo makes your audio louder and more powerful and therefore your signal will carry farther than a radio without the echo cranked up.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. :love:

Reactions: 1 person
Welcome aboard Tom, As mentioned if you like AM then get use to the echo and roger beeps noise toys ETC because your going to get an earfull. SSB has way less most of the time none of that garbage but at times some lonely AM user strag;er works his way to SSB because hes bored or nobody will talk to his noise making @$$ so he torments SSB.

What amateur frequencies or bands do you use?? Maybe Ill catch you on sometime I mostly use 75 meters 3.913.00 They refer to me as Tony 2 because theres 2 Tonys in our group.

Mostly do 2 meter stuff, don't have anything but a moble up right now..Had an inverted V for 75, and Shortwave listening..Maco 5/8th's for Cb, and a 8 element beam for 2 meters, with a uni on top...BUT, like I said Hurricane Ike took out both my pushups, and my tower...I was out of town at the time, or I would have gotten everything down..I use the NASA Space Center Repeater often, and am active on Echo link..I can't stand echo, or the noise toys, I know some folks get a kick out of them, but like I said, I want FM Broadcast Sound form my Station..Call is KD5YQF, am A tech, so do not have 75 meter privileges, but have all the equipment my Dad had..Drake TR4C, Collins 75A3, plus all my new radios...I am into all kinds of radio, and love to tinker, and experiment....Do you do Echo Link???

All of these answers and no one has stated the obvious reason yet. :whistle:

Everyone knows that echo makes your audio louder and more powerful and therefore your signal will carry farther than a radio without the echo cranked up.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. :love:[/QUOTE

I thought I explained it in post #7.

I'd rather have my audio not sound so loud, and carry a little less distance than sound like that crap...Never had a problem with anyone hearing me tho, but to each his own I guess...Funny hams that talk around the world all the time do not use echo, the military that depends on communication does not use echo..Nasa does not use echo, even on analog communications...Ships at sea??? No...hmm, only CB'ers....Wonder why...

real chicken banders use echo :love:

Attachments

• chicken band.jpg
    chicken band.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 42

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.