• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is your favorite 2m/440mhz vertical (omni) antenna?

the_sandman_454

<font color="red">Humor Facillitator</font>
Apr 2, 2005
Michigan
Just like the title says, what is your favorite 2m/70cm dual band vertical antenna setup? How do you have it set up? How high do you have it set up?

I'm going to be aquiring an 2m/70cm dual band antenna soon and I'm just curious what y'all use...

I use the Workman UVS-300. It is a less expensive clone of the dual band collinear offerings from Diamond, Comet, etc. It is about 17 feet tall, and I think it is 3x 5/8 wave on 2meters, and 6x 5/8 wave on 440. It was about 80 bucks from R and L electronics in Ohio, I have it mounted on a roof mount tripod with a 10 foot mast, probably 30 feet at the feedpoint. It works very well, has been up 3 years now, no problems, very pleased with it.

Diamond X200A at 30ft. 6.0/8.0 gain 200 watts max power rating,feeding with 50ft. of cable experts 1318 low loss feedline. It's been up 3 years without any problems.

That sounds good...I was using a NMO 2/70C Radiall/Larsen on the mobile...it works good but not as much gain as the Diamond X200A. What configuration is that one (2-5/8 and 4-5/8)? The Radiall Larsen Kulrod is a center loaded 1/2 wave in 2m and collinear 5/8 wave on 70cm with gain of 3.8/5.2 dBi. chrome whip.

For the home I use an 11-element yagi for 70cm and a homebrew direct connect 4-element yagi that I built from the plans at antenna elmer.

C2 my diamond X200A is for base ops.Yes your are correct,element phasing is 2 5/8 & 4 5/8. For mobile i use a Tech America dual bander with 5.0/7.6 gain,150 watt max power rating and lenght is 58".Works great.

Hey..

The Dual Band Antenna i use for the Base is a Comet GP-9
it's a vertical 5/8 wave about 18 feet tall..

it does 8.6 Dbi on 2 meters and 12.6 Dbi on 70 cm band
it is rated for 200 or 300 watts
(although i never use more then 120 watts)

mine is mounted on roof of 3 story building to chimney with additional 15 feet of mast (and has 4 guy wires)
the base of the antenna is at 46 feet height

It works Extremly well for me..
on 440 band with just 1 half watt i regularly and easily talk to repeaters 75-80 miles away (this dispite a small city of nyc mahatten being between me and many of the long island repeaters i use)regardless if i am using my IC-7000,706MKIIG or hook my T-90A ht to it(and as yet i have no linears)

Although it is a great antenna..
if and when it becomes nessesary to replace it (i have been using it maybe 4 years now) i will replace it with a bigger antenna by..
which is Dimond X700HNA Dualband Base/Repeater Antenna
at 24 feet height
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x700hna.html

with these frequencys....loss becomes a issue rather fast..
so i Highly Recomend using N connectors as well as hard line coax...
(i know many will say rubbish..it is over kill and not needed..but
i am right here...lol)

Later

i use the comet gp-3 dual band 4.5db at 146,and 7.2db440mhz
rated at 200w,i can reach repeaters well over 100 miles,both on 2m and 440mhz,and its only ten feet of the ground.a vertical 5/8 wave about 5 feet tall.

dscf05954eh.jpg

I like this one so far. Cost around 5$ to make.

I have Larsens on the cars. Had a Hustler, it broke after hitting a low tree.

Working on a 6 ele quad, weather is better, might get it done.

Hay 2M Guy is that a J-Pole in the background?

Good coax is the key for a good 2 meter or 440 antenna setup. You would be amazed with the differance in receive.

I use a old Cushcraft AR-270 ground plane its about 20' long at about 70 feet. I'm not impressed with it at all. Its gotta go !

I just want a simple 5/8th wave like the ARX 2/70

Jonbah

Yeah, thats a jpole. Had fun making it, teh puny one does as well or better. Gonna be easy to hike it up a bit. I do need to upgrade coax. Loss at VHF is high. ASAP, I'm gonna get LMR 400. Using 8X now, crap for VHF, but I have a bunch laying around.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.