• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is your primary radio antenna?

What is your primary radio antenna?

• VERTICAL

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • HORIZONTAL

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • YAGI

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • WIRE

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • YOU FORGOT ONE

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

I'd say vertical.
This is what Marconi has to say about it.

''This is a vertically polarized antenna, but the presence of some horizontal radiating elements, in my opinion, enhance, in particular, the DX qualities of this very efficient radiator.''

I use a Wolf .64 gp because Marconi said it's a good antenna.

MY Farm

10 meter antenna: Homebrew 5/8th's ground plane/36 ft up to radials...

The "Backfire Array' consists of 4) 40 meter dipoles basically in a inverted V type set-up...the south ends are about 25 ft off the ground...the north ends are only about 20 ft off the ground.
I am going to try and post a drawing to give you an idea of how it is hooked together.
The set-up is a pair of "Lazy H's" laying Horizontal and feed 180 degrees out of phase.
I have a double "L" tuning network...
I have used it on 80m/40m/10m and it really cranks on 17m. I have got really good reports even on 80m in the 500 mile range.
40m I can work anywhere...Work the Aussie's pretty well from Indiana.
17m: If I hear I can work them...S. America/Africa have been worked as well as Europe
10m: Here it is has both Horizontal and Vertical signals...really weird but chatting local inside 100+ miles, the ground plane is better. When the band is open to the west the array can be stronger at times.

Hopefully next spring I can get my new freestanding 52+ft tower up and I have a 4 element 20/15/10 meter Yagi plus a 40 meter dipole kit all on a 18ft boom. I also have a 12/17 meter 3 element Yagi and a 30 meter dipole kit to go up on 45 ft of Rohn/25G.
I hope for an early spring!!!(y)

Attachments

• NEW ANTENNA 2A.jpg
    NEW ANTENNA 2A.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 166
I said my main antenna is a yagi but that is because my favourite band is 20m and I use a tribander for that. My next favourite band is 80m and I use a wire antenna in an inverted L configuration there.

160 - 10 FD-4 (OCF) with added section for 160 at 45 feet above good ground
15/12/(11)10 iMAX 2000 at 40 feet
5 ELEMENT BEAM 6 METER at 50 feet above ground
11 element Flexa yagi 2 meter at 55 feet above ground
23 element Flexa yagi 70 cm at 60 feet above ground
Diamond X510N 2/70 vertical at 62 feet above ground
Homebrew 15 dBd wi-fi antenna at 40 feet above ground
Diamond discone 2/70 FT 100 (repeaters local) at 40 feet above ground
Coax Ecoflex 15 1/2 inch low loss better as LMR 400

So, depending the frequency one of the above ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.