• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What makes difference in some amps?

I noticed Kartman the tech leaned back a couple of times. Like he was expecting the same bunch of sparks and smoke that I was! Cool video, I had no idea those transistors could be so tough.

Brett

Reactions: Heavy Metal
Last edited:
BBB I was speaking of the knockoff 2879's. The device being tested is one bad mamma jamma!! And I'm sure not cheap like you show!! But they are sweet!! Not gonna see many cb'ers running them. They'll no doubt be turning to the Chinese made 2879's. I've already been told by someone that is working with the PP100's and they seem okay. Time will tell. But they still aren't a Toshiba!! Anyway. Have a good one.

.... I've already been told by someone that is working with the PP100's and they seem okay. Time will tell. But they still aren't a Toshiba!! ....
Do they seem to live up to the claim that they work in any circuit designed for 2879's? would be nice to know that there's a replacement available for repairing old amps.

I did generalize a bit too much on my previous statement, IMHO there are some legit reasons to keep a 2879 replacement available. It just seems as though we should be seeing much more of this newer stuff on the market than we are.

Are these new transistors being used in any commonly available ham gear yet?

No go on the direct drop in from what I've seen and read. Another member here, Crusher is working with some of the new PP100's and posted about it on another forum. He changed out transistors in an 8 pill that had Toshiba's 2879's. He states that he had to change pretty much every cap and tune amp to optimize. No numbers were posted and he even states he was using just a radio to drive amp. Hope this helps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.