• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What power supply

Definitely hidden costs that some overlook. I like overkill when it comes to power supplies. The use of old server power supplies really cuts the cost down though. Most guys I suggest this to don't want something that doesn't come in a nice case ready to sit on the desk.
The server power supply is a decent alternative. I picked up a cheap dell poweredge 6800 drilled a couple holes. Togle switch and a couple 1k pots and away I went. Definitely consider a variable for the fans unless you want the sound of an airplane in your shack. I believe at 110v it's good to around 100 amps. I never pushed it that hard...a 4 pill is all I tested mine with an it didn't have any probs and no noise in the equipment either. It was an easy project and not costly. I did however leave it on the floor under the desk. Even with the fans turned down its a little noisy to have next to the radio. Here is a vid of a guy that did pretty much the same thing I did. I however soldered power cable to each individual prong + & -, heat shrinked, and the ran them together at a distribution block I had laying around. Looks cleaner and all is balanced.

If snap, should have looked before opening my pie hole!! Didn't realize this was a 3yr old post!! Wouldn't even have wasted the text time LOL!!

The server power supply is a decent alternative. I picked up a cheap dell poweredge 6800 drilled a couple holes. Togle switch and a couple 1k pots and away I went. Definitely consider a variable for the fans unless you want the sound of an airplane in your shack. I believe at 110v it's good to around 100 amps. I never pushed it that hard...a 4 pill is all I tested mine with an it didn't have any probs and no noise in the equipment either. It was an easy project and not costly. I did however leave it on the floor under the desk. Even with the fans turned down its a little noisy to have next to the radio. Here is a vid of a guy that did pretty much the same thing I did. I however soldered power cable to each individual prong + & -, heat shrinked, and the ran them together at a distribution block I had laying around. Looks cleaner and all is balanced.

I've got 2 of those in parallel on 240vac for my work bench. They will run a 16 pill without any issues. They are noisy even with the fans slowed way down.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned