• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what radios have the best ears ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

most want the loudest most powerful radio . i think most all can be pretty much acceptable when set up properly , with of course some doing better than others . but which radios seem to be the best at helping to pull stations out of the static/background noise ? i know antenna , placement , coax and ground play a significant roll in the radios ears , but all else being equal what radios have the best ears ?? im interested in ssb cb's . not ham rigs , maybe a 2950dx or a 257 export . im guess there are probally a few that have the advantage stock and that taking modifications into account that list will change .

whats y'alls thoughts ?

I've found that the older Uniden Grants and older Presidents (Madison, Washington, etc.) usually have great ears when properly aligned. I think they have good receivers all around on AM and SSB. The Lincolns, 2510s, etc. have pretty good receivers, but I never really liked how the receive sounded on AM. It always sounded a little too narrow to me.

The Rangers have good ears and I happy with the receive on the new 100W Galaxy DX 94HP that I have.

good luck

interview.gif

if your lucky enough to find a good one
hr2600,2510,lincoln,emperior5010,ar3500
these are simply the best of the best for recieve and ssb operatoring
however finding a good used one is a tall task.
for more up to date radios
ther entire magnum line ssb radios
rci type radios 2950/70/90/95/dx

what moleculo said....preference here is XL 1st, LT 2nd, ORIGINAL 148's 3rd. MOST 8719 copy radios are also real good receivers, these include the TR 296's, sherman, radio shack copy, etc

what Moleculo said....preference here is XL 1st, LT 2nd, ORIGINAL 148's 3rd. MOST 8719 copy radios are also real good receivers, these include the TR 296's, Sherman, radio shack copy, etc

Agreed (y) Currently have a Grant XL, 148GTL, Washington, 142GTL, and a Madison... All exceptional radios..

Agreed (y) Currently have a Grant XL, 148GTL, Washington, 142GTL, and a Madison... All exceptional radios..

ya those old cobra/uniden radios really shine in their old age. i need another 148 GTL cuz i had to sell mine in a financial bind. i have a grant XL and that is a nice, trusty radio. never has issues and performs with the latest no doubt

UNIDEN GRANT XL-HR 2510/2600-PRESIDENT WASHINGTON. OLD 148 COBRA. THE 2950DX HAS GOOD RECEIVE BUT THE WHITE NOISE IS ATROCIOUS. I GOT 3 UNIDEN GRANT XLS, A BUNCH OF 2510/2600 AND A 2950DX. THE OLD RADIOS ARE FAR BETTER FOR LESS WHITE NOISE BUY FAR. MY 2510 AND 2600 ARE THE BEST.

The old "858" uniden ssb chassis is the best radio for the buck that you can get today. The receive section uses a dual gate FET preamp for high sensitivity and low noise. It can be broadbanded easily. The transmit section audio has built-in speech clipping for LOUD audio without over modulating. Lotsa units out there from Cobra, President, Teaberry, Robyn, Realistic, and Panasonic. I bought an unmodified Realistic TRC-449 on Ebay last December for $42.00. Only Problem is that Driver and Final (2SC1306 & 2SC1307) are NLA. Still in all... A great radio.

I only have one radio with better ears than my Grant XL or Lincoln? Browning Mark III. Best ears of any radio I have had the pleasure to play with.

Grant/148/2000 8719 PLL . I have had many cybernet boarded radios from the late 70s 02A chips that may have had even better receive. IM talking older Midland / G.E. / J.C. Penny / . I think you can have a fantastic receiving radio but if given radio has lousy rejection or anl/nb's , you can have yourself a problem.

The older Grant/148/2000 8719 PLL'ed "CB" radios were always known for there superiour receive sections as well as there audio , rejection , anl/nbs. I think you would have to go to HF rigs to find better then that.

The Stoner Pro 40 SSB.

Q: What is the Stoner PRO-40 SSB?

A: The BEST SSB CB radio ever made

A number of unusual engineering techniques were employed in the PRO-40.

To eliminate crossmodulation interference from adjacent channels, Stoner avoided the conventional transistor r.f. amplifier/mixer technique used in virtually ALL CB receivers even today. In fact, no r.f. stage is used at all and a Schottky diode mixer is employed, similar to that used in commercial SSB equipment. With no amplifying stages in the front end which could be overdriven by strong signals, the receiver uses dual cascaded crystal filters for extraordinary selectivity. Reception of unwanted sideband is totally suppressed. This allows the radio to be used within 100ft. of another station without harmful interference. Adjacent channel rejection is greater than 90dB, and crossmodulation rejection greater than 120dB.

AM heterodyne can be eliminated by the "Whistlestop" passband audio filter, which can also be used to "peak" audio, helping separate stations on the same channel. In addition, dual time constant "NB1" and "NB2" noise blankers are provided.

http://www.dxring.net/stoner/

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.