• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what radios have the best ears ?

Becouse I live near the city (chicago ) a noise blanker is needed most of the day time. +10db. Static is common on both ssb and am.The best radios i ever used as a receiver was a Stoner Pro 40 for ssb, and a Kenwood TS950sdx. Kenwood has a awesome noise blanker.Static is a major problem for me most of the time.
985chicago.
Voodoo audio#12

Out of all the radios that I have owned.....the Tram's and the Brownings are the best hands down.

So far I would say the Yaesu Ft-901dm and Ft-102 are tops for me. I have not seen or heard a radio hear better then those. Now that being said I have not had a Ft-5000 in front of me so I can't compare to the newer stuff.

Out of all the radios that I have owned.....the Tram's and the Brownings are the best hands down.

I have to agree when it comes to 11 meter radios, nothing new has beat the receiver performance of the 40 year old rigs. The Browning Golden Eagle receivers still have some of the best sensitivity of any radio with its all Nuvistor front end.

When it comes to selectivity, Tram went out of their way to make the most selective receiver with their model XL-100 mobile tube radio. This antique had the bragging rights with 95 db rejection at 10KHz. One of the only radios that used crystal filtering in the AM IF stage rather then mechanical, ceramic or just tuned circuits.

Too bad noise blankers were not common back then because that would have been the icing on the cake. The NB didn't start appearing on radios until around 1975 when Tram introduced the D-201 with VOX and NB.

As much as I like the original D-201, it's for the transmitter in this radio and not so much for the receiver. While the receiver is in no way lacking, it's also not exceptional with rejection or overloading the front end. It does have exceptional tone quality and a transmitter that is unsurpassed with those two 6L6GC tubes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.