• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WHAT REALLY CAUSES DX ANYWAY ???

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
There has been no solar activity for the past 10 days or so. On Monday and Tuesday of this past week, Dx was so weak that I thoiught my antenna was disconnected. However, on Wednesday and Thursday, Dx was off-the-hook. North-to-South, East-to-West. On Friday, only sporadic Dx contacts were possible. With no solar eruptions or CMEs, what caused the fantastic midweek DX conditions ?? Are the nuclear problems at the Japan reactor affecting the E-layer. Or....?? Any ideas anyone??

Listen to WWV on any of its frequencies at (I think) 18 and 48 minutes after each hour for the latest solar-terrestrial indices and other data. Get familiar with how they derive these numbers and how certain combinations seem to accompany good propagation conditions.

Keep a running record of the numbers and the forecasts/predictions. As always, Google is your friend.

Have a Cup of Coffee, and watch this....
Propagation Primer - Flash Movie by AE4RV

Thanks to AE4RV for the Info (y)

Jeff

Thats a great and useful tutorial.

Its important to remember that DX is always there (*), but you need lots of sunspots (or sporadic E skip) to get skip on 11 meters. When the sunspots are lower, you get a maximum usable frequency which is lower than 27MHz.

Anybody who remembers what days you had 11m skip, take a look at
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpdir/indices/DSD.txt
the sunspot number column to see if it matches when skip was happening.

(*) unless you have that rare solar storm/flare

Forty forrty seems to think that also, he calls it stirring it up.

Well Mack, I don't know 4040 except on the radio of late, but sometimes I hear him out the like the rest of us mortals, and then at other times his audio and signal just dominates my radio, and I can talk to him like we are on MawBell. I don't know what kind of power he runs, but I never pump over about 3000 watts, and of course a little less when I'm on my water cooled Gain Master...and when my "putter" is hot BTW.

4040's not really stirrin' things up like you imagine Mack, he's just stirin' it up for the guy's that can't get their own stir to workin'. If you haven't been on a video with 4040, you're not workin' your radio. I always get a kick out of hearing one of the guys on this forum talking on my radio, how about you?

Aren't you in Colorado? I talk to a regular Dx'er named Paul #254 quite often...and he's close to Denver I think. Have you ever heard Ole Grampa out there, gettin' down with it...when Texas is in your radio?

What causes DX

Here is an Excellent textbook-

The New Shortwave Propagation Handbook.

George Jacobs-W3ASK
Theodore Cohen-N4XX
Robert Rose-K6GKU

this will explain DX (propagation)(Skipland)
in real terms,graphs and making predictions
yourself.

Or look at Ham Cap 1.71 by VE3NEA a free software program for
Propagation. DX Atlas: Amateur Radio software

Paul-K8PG

I don't know what kind of power he runs, but I never pump over about 3000 watts?

40 mobile runs enough power in his mobile to turn on my SWR warning light from a couple blocks away...he also likes to sit out on the dock at the bay.

Listen to WWV on any of its frequencies at (I think) 18 and 48 minutes after each hour for the latest solar-terrestrial indices and other data. Get familiar with how they derive these numbers and how certain combinations seem to accompany good propagation conditions.

Keep a running record of the numbers and the forecasts/predictions. As always, Google is your friend.

For a limited time...

+ On the Air: Space Weather Prediction Center to Discontinue Broadcasts on WWV and WWVH

Beginning Tuesday, September 6, the Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) will cease broadcasting its geophysical alert message on WWV and WWVH. These messages inform listeners of the solar flux, the mid-latitude A and K indices and space weather storms, both current and predicted. Currently, the message is heard on minute 18 from WWV and minute 45 from WWVH. The information will still be available on the SWPC website. If you care to comment on this, or if you have any questions, the SPWC -- part of the National Weather Service (NWS) -- would like to hear from you.

ARRL Letter

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.