• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what scanner should ilook for??????

excavator701

May 23, 2005
i am going to get into this scanner deal in my house whats a good scanner that will pickup anything like all police fire cell and cordless phone just about anything ect. please help me out thanks!!!!!!!!

uniden bearcat 8 but it will not pick up a cell phone i dont know of any in the US that will.... or any radio shack scanner will work they are all made by uniden i think!!

Bobby

Scanners

Radio Shack and Uniden offer two scanners that will recieve almost all digital and analog trunked frequencies, as well as conventional (non-trunked signals), the Pro 2096 and the BCT 996. People debate endlessly which is better. I have both, and each has its own pros and cons; IMHO just flip a coin and you won't go wrong. These are desktop or mobile units, but Uniden and Radio Shack make handheld versions of either which have all the features of their larger brothers, the Pro 96 and the BCT 396.

Make sure if you buy the Radio Shack version to download the Win 96 programing software, and, likewise, if you buy the Uniden models get the Butel 396 or 996 programing software. Both will program trunked and non-trunked systems from the Radio Reference database (www.radioreference.com). It would take an heroic effort to program these scanners for tunked systems by hand.

Neither of these scanners will receive cell phone signals, but I don't see why they wouldn't pick up cordless phones.

The short answer is no. You can occasionally find unblocked scanners from Canada or Europe, sometimes on eBay. Likewise, you might find pre-ban scanners that are unblocked, like the Icom IC-R7000, or some of the Radio Shack Scanners from the '80s, such as the Pro-2004 and the Pro-2006, which could be converted to cell phne enabled by simply clipping a diode. These radios might have been useful when cell phones were mostly analog, but none of them will decode a digital signal, which is what most cell phones use these days.

why would you even want to listen in on cel phones
it is illegal and i sure would not want to get caught with such a device(same as federal wiretapping laws in severity)

besides of those you can get out of say canada
even if there are ones that pick up digital frequencys which likly there are
there are known that will stay with the digital frequency that a conversation started on
as it hops to different frequencys throughout the converstaition

much like how most digital police and fire frequencys work
but using a different standard not found on devices availible to us

Read the paperwork that comes with any scanner and it will tell you it's AGAINST the LAW for scanners to be modified to pick up cell phone transmissions. Besides I can't think of why any one would want to hear what a bunch of people are talking about on their cell phones-it's like being a peeping tom and looking into their bedrooms. I'd be PISSED if I knew someone had been listening in on my phone conversations. I can do just about anything here with my scanner EXCEPT that. Much more interesting stuff to listen to out there than that.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.