• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What should I get

silent463

Aug 14, 2012
OK I'm in the market for a ham radio I want a cheap one but I'm in need of help I'm just trying to find something cheap but also something that is good for a beginner along with an antenna can be a mobile unit.

What bands are you looking to operate on and what is your budget? What your asking doesn't have a quick answer.

Last edited:
Well I'm limited on cash probably 200 to 400 and I'm going for my tech license so 10 meter to 2 meter I wanna b able to contact across. The north n south Americas at min

For 10 meters look for a good used Radio Shack HTX-100 or the newer HTX-10. Both are well make 10 meter rigs and can be had for around $100. The Uniden HR-2510 is also a decent radio but hard to find un-hacked since they are used on the CB band a lot of times.. Try to avoid using a cheaply made 10 meter Export radio.

You can find loads of used 2 meter radios on eBay, the QRZ.com forum for sale forum or on QTH.com also for around $100. I think any Kenwood, Icom or Kenwood radio will be fine to start out as long as its no more than 10 years old or newer. You want to make sure it has CTSS tones built in so you can access repeaters. This should leave you enough cash for a 2 meter mobile antenna system. A 102 inch stainless whip works great on 10 meters.

Id get a kenwood ts-480sugar Hf +warc only. That's just my IMO. Also on a rare occasion you might find a deal on a icom ic-706 OG for around $400 which has 2m and all hf +warc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Techs cannot talk on FM 10m.

Good luck !

OK I'm in the market for a ham radio I want a cheap one but I'm in need of help I'm just trying to find something cheap but also something that is good for a beginner along with an antenna can be a mobile unit.

Ok, I highly recommend you search Craigslist Tempest for "ham radio" daily if possible also check eBay when you can.
Most of the eBay radios turn into
Bidding wars or sellers think they have golden radio.:D
It's very doable on your budget ($200-400), But you must keep looking the right deal will pop up eventually.
I also recommend you use Universal Radio as Reference on any radio you might be interested in and if it's not there RIGIPIX will have some info.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 person
Ya I checked rigpix but also looked at Craigslist

''Looked'' is a one time thing, continue to keep ''looking''. We can't find a radio for you. Remember to post in the swap shop what you want and how much you can spend. If you like QRZ take a look at there ads for sale.

Have you found any thing yet??
PM your QTH and I'll see just how many repeaters you have in your area & go from there.

I recommend the Yaesu Ft-7900R for the first timer.
I also recommend the Diamond X50A as a base antenna (wont work mobile) or if you want a smaller cheaper antenna for the base a Diamond X30A.

I also recommend if you choose any radio try to get one that can do PC programming it makes things easier....(sometimes).

Just my IMHO. Good Luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.