• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What should I see from a TS 350HDV?

I bet if you swap radios, like others have suggested all your problems will go away. I have had that problem with export lines and even the 9x9 versions of radios. Just try a Cobra 25 or 39 or the Uniden version and see what happens. A 2-3W dk and 15 -20W pep is more inline what a radio should do.

" I can easily crank the output of the radio up to get more power"

No you can't. Adjusting the input DEAD KEY will increase your carrier out from the amp. Adding more peak wattage is how you increase the output.

I didn't say it would work for very long did I? I'm running at the minimum on the variable on the radio, I can very easily turn that knob all the way up...the amp might not like it; but it is indeed very easy to do...

I'm guessing because this radio is completely stock (how I asked DTB to tune it) it is probably needing something like a swing mod done to it? Where the dead key is adjustable, but the radio always swings to maximum PEP? If I crank the PEP up to 18 watts, I'd be feeding the amp nearly 5 watts of carrier, which sounds high?

Since every one seems to think its the radio, it gives me a good excuse to buy something else. I have been thinking of getting rid of this 959 for a while anyway...and I want something different for the pickup too. So I guess I'll heed the advice, sell the 959, move the Uniden PC76 to the car (in front of this amp), and buy an export for the truck....CB = constantly buying.

Thanks all for the advice!

Well, I was swapping radios out today, and decided to revisit my low PEP. Turns out it was the meter, it must not be capable of reading PEP accurately even though its a powered unit.

I swapped in a cheapie Radio Shack meter, and its sitting around 65 watts key and peaking right about 200, maybe 225...perfect.

Pulled the DX959, installed my PC76 with the Aries, same thing...low peak power...right about 125 watts. Put in the RS meter and, with no other changes; 50 watts key, 200 to 225 peak....which is pretty much where I would want to run it.

So in short, it was just a quirk of the meter.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.