• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What to buy??

Which radio to buy?

• Stryker 955

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Magnum 1

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Optima mk3

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
Nov 2, 2015
I'm a huge stryker fan. Have had the 655 for a few years. Still cant explain why I didn't get the 955 , being I love to work ssb.I really want a 955 for ssb but I have been reading about the Magnum 1 and the optima mk3. I have never heard either radio on air(that I know of) or even put my hands on one. I can't really find anyone that's not happy with any of the 3 radios. Let me tell you hiw i like to use my radios and maybe someone with experience with one of these radios can chime in.
I talk alot with locals on 11 meters am. When we have conditions I will get on ssb. I do get on am 11 meters with conditions from time to time just to give my neighbor hell,but those days are passing. I run a cobra 2000 (got it for my birthday in 1985) or conexx 4800 dxl with texas star 350vhd driving a texas star dx 1200. When talking with locals I'll use the stryker 655. I have an imax 2000 and sirio s4 on the flat side. When I get this radio I'd like to get it set up to be direct injected for rack gear. I also have a few very good old desktop mics that are 4 pin. I'm not worried about being the biggest radio. I want clean clear modulation. I may also look into a hf rig. I have a study guide coming for ham.

What do you think?
TomTom on the bottom side of the Mag.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye

I have the 955 kick ass on ssb. Just got the optima the receive in incredible. I don't think will go wrong with either..

I'm a huge stryker fan. Have had the 655 for a few years. Still cant explain why I didn't get the 955 , being I love to work ssb.I really want a 955 for ssb but I have been reading about the Magnum 1 and the optima mk3. I have never heard either radio on air(that I know of) or even put my hands on one. I can't really find anyone that's not happy with any of the 3 radios. Let me tell you hiw i like to use my radios and maybe someone with experience with one of these radios can chime in.
I talk alot with locals on 11 meters am. When we have conditions I will get on ssb. I do get on am 11 meters with conditions from time to time just to give my neighbor hell,but those days are passing. I run a cobra 2000 (got it for my birthday in 1985) or conexx 4800 dxl with texas star 350vhd driving a texas star dx 1200. When talking with locals I'll use the stryker 655. I have an imax 2000 and sirio s4 on the flat side. When I get this radio I'd like to get it set up to be direct injected for rack gear. I also have a few very good old desktop mics that are 4 pin. I'm not worried about being the biggest radio. I want clean clear modulation. I may also look into a hf rig. I have a study guide coming for ham.

What do you think?
TomTom on the bottom side of the Mag.
If you want a very good ssb rig get the optima mklll, it works great on am too...
Mobile Unit 1358 Central Oregon told you that, and I got down.73's

Reactions: 20CB110
The 955 will probably be my next purchase. All that I have heard sounded great on am and ssb. Haven't heard the optima on am but they do sound great on ssb as well. Running a 955 into your 1200 driving a 4 el should talk well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.