• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what to do with the extra????

sandpiperx

Jan 15, 2010
Denton, Texas USA
I am out laying my 150 run on Davis bury flex as we speak. Trench dug, end pvc in place. grounds sunk. Here is what I need. I am coming up about 20 ft to much line. ( must of had a shot or 2 when I measured) LOL.. I really do not want to cut and replace the connector at one end. SO the question is What would be the best way to spool ,coil what ever the remainder of the line? Should I leave the extra at the tower side or the shack side.. please advise..'

Markip

Where you put that coiled up feed line is up to you. I can see where having a few feet of 'extra' coax at the radio end would/could come in handy. And then, doing that choke thingy at the antenna end wouldn't cause any problems too. Which would you think would be the handiest??
- 'Doc

If you have extremely good soil and run the risk of the tower/antenna system growing, then you should leave the extra at the antenna end. However, if you have ordinary soil just like the rest of us then that chance is extremely low and you would be better suited to have some extra on the shack end. It makes moving things around the room much easier too.

thanks you for all the info
I have about 12 ft. extra in the shack. I dont see any movement there. It is set up the way I need it.. I also have about 25 ft at the pole..

It could grew another 5 to 10 ft. more. will see if the HOA becomes lippy.
Its behind the tree the real big tree in stealth mode. I have nothing but a horse farm behind the fence. He is running a big Beam So he could care less.

I am starting to fabricate the choke tonight. going to go get a big old hunk of PVC.. Is that the only thing that can be used.???

Markip

Just so long as it isn't made of metal and is 4 inces in diameter. Five winds of coax turned closely to the last wind. Keep it off of the mast and put it below the antenna feedpoint. This coax choke should use up about 6 ft of coax.

Robb. I was reading the full article on that and I was going to see if I used the 8 inch if I can find it. From what it described I could wrap up to 18 to 20 ft..

Maybe I read it wrong.. What go you think.. I have the room to put it on the ground and also keep it from the mast thanks for the help..Markip

If you read the entire post on 'The Ugly Balun" you will find that a 4 inch PVC tube with 5 winds of coax is spot-on for making a coax choke. That is all you need.
4'' pipe is way too small of a diameter to wind .405 coax, it will deform the conductor to outer shield media.

Anything under 6'' is a no no and 8'' is ideal, that's what I made mine out of and that would take care of 20' easy.

Robb. I was reading the full article on that and I was going to see if I used the 8 inch if I can find it. From what it described I could wrap up to 18 to 20 ft..

Maybe I read it wrong.. What go you think.. I have the room to put it on the ground and also keep it from the mast thanks for the help..Markip

I used a scrap piece of 8'' pvc sewer drain, construction sites and or plumbing jobs are your best bet.

Actually, since you haven't said anything about really needing a choke, just coiling the stuff up to keep it neat is certainly a viable way of doing it. After all, it's just to get it out of the way, right?
- 'Doc

W5 Yes that is correct I really did not need a choke as of yet.. I wanted to and everyone has pointed me in the direction I need.

The main thing that I needed to find out is the best way with out signal loss to spool up my excess cable without a cut. The ugly way will in fact help with what I need and at the same time maybe slow down any other issues. That works for me..
Mac by a stroke of luck MY little company is doing a glass install in Dallas. I contacted the GC and he said he had 8" section waiting for me in the morning.. charging up the drill. I will send a pic when finished.

One more thing I have 3 - 8ft ground rods sunk around the base that was fun with the tree but got it done, to ground the antenna. A lightning surge protector coming in Tues. Can you all think of anything else I might need..

This is my first semi permanent base setup I mentioned in another thread.

All these years been mobile and trying to settle down,,

Markip
(y)

Well after 2 weeks of some extras heavy winds. I went out and made the choke. ( ugly Balum) coiled up the remainder of coax and installed the window feed through from quicksilver. I was surprised at how easy that thing worked.. Feed the lines into shack .. Set up the Dosy and did some testing.. Well pretty much Flat to 1:1 Swr across the band. Big Smiles:D Well I am starting to work some channels and have some fun tonight..'

Thanks for all who helped with info.. I will post some pics after I play a little..

Markip

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.