• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What to do?

So I've settled on the bearcat, now what about an antenna mount? I have a wilson 5000 trucker and I drive a crappy mini van. I was thinking a triple magnet, magnetic mount, what do yall think?

Before you settle on a radio what are your needs? Do you plan on staying on the regular 40 cb channels? Do you just talk AM or will you be doing SSB? Do you have any locals that talk FM some times? Do you like to freeband on channels above 40 and below channel 1? Do you like echo, roger beep, talkback, frequency display? There is alot to consider.

After all that if your still happy with just a 40 channel cb set that's fine. A better choice would be a used Uniden Grant xl or lt off ebay or from the for sale section here. Next up would be a Galaxy 959 or 979. For me and from what I have seen posted here the Uniden 980 falls short in many areas. I would also stay away from a new Cobra 148, they are complete junk. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Tlag77
I personally like the Uniden 980 for a legal radio. I get very good reports with it on side band. I had Clay's cb shop set it for me. I use a RM Italy 203 with it talking on the stock mic going to a magnet mount Wilson 1000. I have been told many,many times that the radio sounds very good. So many times that I don't believe it is just people blowing sunshine. Now, I do wish it could be set up for extra channels. The 980 is very stable on side band, no drifting. I have talked about 55-60 miles with that setup in my pickup to a base station on sideband. I have also talked about 30 miles on AM to a base. The weather band is nice feature if you are traveling.
I would be leary of buying electronics online. I did buy a used Uniden Grant from a mobile cb shop in Houston a while back and probably paid too much for it,but at least I could see that it worked when I bought it. I will pick it up tomorrow from Clay's. I had them go through it and wire a road devil microphone for it.

If it was me I would keep the amp and find a good side band radio. Side band is fun when conditions are good.

Last edited:
My Uniden Bearcat 980 sounded great and it was spot on frequency with no drift...for all of six months. Then it croaked. I'm still using my 1992 Cobra 148 GTL and my 1981 Realistic Navaho TRC490.

I'm not a fan of opening of holes. I've got a Wilson 1000 magnetic and a Stryker 5K. They work pretty well.

The issue with the 980 is the weak final they use. I say weak as it's not rated for much power.
Easy fix. Turn power back a voice watts. I've had mine for over 3yrs now and it's still working. All I did was to lower the dead key on AM to 2 watts and a pep of about 6-8 watts, and same with SSB, lowered power back to about 8 watts pep. This actually helped a lot without adding a heatsink or fan. Member Grogan, I beleive, added a small fan to his and I haven't heard him post about a failure. Other than that, you get a brand new radio for right around $110 shipped to you. Same with the wireless mic, they can be had for about $40. I paid twice this much when I got my mic as it just came out when I got it. But the radio gets good on air reports as stated above with both the wireless mic and an older uniden bearcat mic for the PC68/78 radios.
I will say I don't use the radio much anymore, but when I do, it doesn't get hot or hasn't burnt the final even with a long rag chew. A small fan is easy to add, or even cutting the power back. And these radios don't drift and are spot on out of the box as far as frequency goes.
The mic I choose is due to my voice, so that isn't a must, but the stock mic just sounded muddy with my voice. The wireless mic sounds great as far as I have been told by more than a few like said above, so I don't think it's a case of getting bad reports as beleive me we have some audio critics around here that will quickly let you know if you are off frequency or sound bad.
What radio you decide to get is up to you, don't let me or a yoke else push you into something you're not comfortable with. As far as drilling a hole, his mini van is old as even he has stated, so I don't think drilling a hole is going to hurt value any. But it will keep him from having to maintain it all the time, especially if he lives somewhere like FL, where its humid and gets a lot of dew in the AM as well as rain. Moisture finds its way into places you wouldn't think possible, so a hard mount isn't a bad idea. But like I said, it's up to the user to choose what he/she wants to do. Are there better options for radios, yes, but they also cost about 2-3 times what the 980 costs. This is speaking of a new radio and not one that is 20-30 years old. I the end, like I said earlier, it's up to the person that is going to be using the radio, as to what they want to do. But even old radios can and do have their issues. Maybe I just got lucky with mine, who knows. But it has been a good radio to me and has served me well when I need it. JMHO's. And don't think I don't own my share of old radios or exports as well. Had 3 magnum 257hp's and out of the 3, one works now. And I sold that one. They aren't the best out there either, God knows they have their share of issues. I know out of the 3 I had, 2 had issues and the 3rd one that is sold I had to turn the power back on and also fix a carrier issue on SSB. The only radio I haven't had a single issue with is the optima mk3, and they aren't made anymore. Shame as they were and still are better than most any export radio out even today. Again, JMO. Not trying to start a radio war. But be honest, we all know things aren't what they used to be. And that is the plain truth.

I had my 980 turned down to 2.5 watts swinging to 10 watts. I have had it for 3-4 years now. I don't use it a lot,mostly on the weekend when I get time. I have a Magnum s45 that I use in my semi and I like that radio but as 222DBFL stated they have problems.
I am going to try my Uniden Grant next week in the semi and see how it does. It is from the mid 80's I believe.

I think I am finished with buying cb radios. I believe my next radio will be a real amateur radio.

Reactions: 222DBFL
With fear of sounding like a newb......I was looking at their site, which one do I buy I see a few different 3 inch mounts and I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Depends on the antenna you buy. Decide on the antenna then choose the mount. Most CB antennas use a 3/8 thread but the Sirios are a SO239 connection.

Also go to this website: www.k0bg.com and read up on mounting, grounding and especially bonding. Yes its aimed at amateur radio but radio is radio and everything there is applicable to CB especially if you're going to run a linear. Take the time to do the bonding on your vehicle as that website says.

Well now so much to think about. I guess I will have to do some research on a couple options. I really don't know anything about SSB or any other stuff I am sure if I had it I would use it. Anybody here from Oakland County Michigan that could physically show me some stuff? Lol.

Depends on the antenna you buy. Decide on the antenna then choose the mount. Most CB antennas use a 3/8 thread but the Sirios are a SO239 connection.

Also go to this website: www.k0bg.com and read up on mounting, grounding and especially bonding. Yes its aimed at amateur radio but radio is radio and everything there is applicable to CB especially if you're going to run a linear. Take the time to do the bonding on your vehicle as that website says.
At the moment I was going to just use what I have, which is the 5000 trucker that I bought like 20 years ago. I have children and they aren't cheap lol, so I am trying to get into this with ad little funds as possible.

In my mobile, my main radio right now is a Cherokee AH-100 SSB walkie talkie. It must be about 15 years old. At 1 base, I'm using a 1992 Cobra 148GTL driving a Starduster copy. At another base, I'm using an old Uniden PC122 driving a Radio Shack 1/2 wave "Crossbow," which is just a 1/2 wave Shakespeare Big Stick made with blue dyed fiberglass.

The old stuff keeps working well. The newer radios aren't showing me the same level of reliability. That's why I'm sticking with the old gear until it dies...and I've got a few kids to feed, too!

Ok here is a good one. A post in another forum. Guy is running a 980 and a K30 magnet mount antenna. His VSWR is 1.75:1. He also is having trouble understanding why the radio will put out more power at the resonant point of the antenna and not at across the entire 40 channels. I did some explaining. This included that he should be careful about using the radio with a VSWR of 1.75:1 due to the MOSFET being used in the radio. Well I got flamed by some guy that says he worked for a major CB company or something, and told me that I was wrong to tell the poster to watch it with a VSWR of 1.75:1 with his uniden 980. He told me he has keyed up countless CB radios with Bipolar trsnsistors with bad VSWR and they didn't blow. Actually I'll copy the post. Am I the one in the wrong here or is he full of it?? Please let me know as if this is the case. Why the heck do CB Mosfets have such issues with bad mismatch and VSWR. And I wasn't speaking about HF RADIOS either!! I made this clear.
Here is the post.
Uniden 980 SSB Watts Lower on Higher Channels?

At one time I worked for the largest CB mfr in the world and had my hands inside more CBs than most people. I can tell you the final RF transistors in any CB made since the early 1970s through today are purpose designed and made for CB service. They may be found in a few other radios but they were all made with CB in mind because its the largest customer for the product. Mosfets are relatively new to the CB market with plain old bipolar devices being the most prevalent.

I've also tried to destroy countless CBs over the years by disconnecting the antenna and transmitting for long periods of time. I was never able to hurt one and that includes the cheapest bottom of the line and some high end radios. Even today I will take any of the CBs laying around here and will transmit with no antenna all day long to make a point and I'm confident nothing bad will happen to it. With that said I don't think a 1.75:1 VSWR will hurt any radio.

[quote name="222DBFL" post=2622711]You can't measure power correctly with an antenna. You need a 50 ohm dummy load and a decent VSWR meter. The meter you have now is not very good. I would venture to say if you place it on a dummy load it will read the same power across the 40 channels. JMO. Also how are you checking the output on SSB? Hopefully with a 1000hz sine wave tone. Your phone should have an app for this. But like I said, using the antenna to perform this won't work correctly. And also a 1.75:1 VSWR is going to end up blowing that final at some point. The finals used in most if not all CB radios are not true RF type Mosfets. They can be made to work, but aren't truly made for that purpose. Now an HF or ham radio does use RF type Mosfets for the PA. And the K30 is a POS antenna. Sorry not trying to be rude, but a 3ft antenna is about like placing a coat hanger on a magnet mount. The bandwidth is very narrow and they usually don't tune very well. Just my experience with these type of antennas. Get an antenna that is at least 6ft or longer. You'll notice a big difference in your RX and TX distance and most likely a better match or VSWR reading. Remember that all these antennas will tune to only 1 frequency at resonance. You might see a good VSWR on channels 1 and 20, but there is more to antennas and how they work then just VSWR.

is totally correct with what he stated as well. Get rid of the truck stop VSWR (SWR) meter and find a better one. Diawa makes a good meter, or even find a radio shack meter off eBay or check around at your local radio shack, some still carry the VSWR/watt meters.

Do some research on how mono band antennas work. Also the connector that is on the end of that mag mount you have is a problem area as well. If it's the 2 piece sma to PL259 adapter. They are a known failure point. But IMO, with the VSWR as high as it is (1.75:1), your radio isn't going to last very long. Those finals are already a known weak point and don't like VSWR above 1.3:1. They create a lot of heat and will show you readings just like what you are seeing. Again, these are just my experiences with antennas using an antenna analyzer. Like I said, read up some about your antenna (k30 magnet mount), and you'll find that what you are experiencing is quite normal for these type antennas. Hope this helps and don't get discouraged. It's not your radio. JMHO's. And again, hope this helps. Have a good day sir.

Ok. I deleted the persons name and the place where it was posted also. But you can see where he quoted me. Now again, I ask is what he saying correct, and I am totally wrong? Please let me know. And sorry not trying to change the subject, but this does pertain to the uniden 980 and a k30 magnet mount antenna. If it makes a difference PM me and I'll tell you where the post is. But I won't do that in the thread. Again, not trying to change the subject here, just am getting tired of getting flamed when I feel that what I have posted was correct. Or is it not???

Ok. I deleted the persons name and the place where it was posted also. But you can see where he quoted me. Now again, I ask is what he saying correct, and I am totally wrong? Please let me know. And sorry not trying to change the subject, but this does pertain to the uniden 980 and a k30 magnet mount antenna. If it makes a difference PM me and I'll tell you where the post is. But I won't do that in the thread. Again, not trying to change the subject here, just am getting tired of getting flamed when I feel that what I have posted was correct. Or is it not???

The fact that you said "do your research" lends credibility to your statement. You can ask questions on forums but it all comes,down to looking into it yourself, so I really don't think you are wrong even if the rest of your statement is partially wrong once research is done then he will have the best answer for him.

I come onto forums looking for directions, once I have said direction I fact check and research til I'm confident on what I have been helped with.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Well now so much to think about. I guess I will have to do some research on a couple options. I really don't know anything about SSB or any other stuff I am sure if I had it I would use it. Anybody here from Oakland County Michigan that could physically show me some stuff? Lol.

You might check out www.cbradiomagazine.com he does some great radio reviews. You can also just search on youtube for various radio video's. Some will be well done and many will be posted by people who are full of crap so beware. cbradiomagazine is probably your best choice for good honest information. Plus they have a bunch of "how to" and general information on SWR, installation and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlag77 and 222DBFL
Was just trying to help someone out on another forum and if you read paragraph 2 & 3 in post #40, you'll understand why I asked what I did about MOSFET devices that are used in CB RADIOS. And also note I even state this in my post. As ones used in HF radios are different. That is all. And to all, have a great day. Keep it clean and mean!!

Reactions: Tlag77
Hello all,

I am going to get back into mobile CB because I miss it. I don't have a lot of funds.

I have a Texas Star 500 and no radio, so I am wondering do I sell the amp and buy a nice radio or do I keep the amp and save up for a nice radio? I know that there will be a bunch of differing thoughts on this but I need some feedback on this situation. Thanks Tim.
hang on to the amp!

You can use any radio they are a dime a dozen.

texas star 500's are good amps and 2879 are $70 each or more

Reactions: Tlag77 and 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.