• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What will fit?

Jul 1, 2005
This is my first post and I've renewed my interest in CB's. I'm happy to be along. I own a '03 Silverado and I'm thinking of swapping in an aftermarket head unit to replace the stock cd player. Since the opening is a double DIN space, I was thinking of installing a CB underneath the radio. I would like one that's of decent quality with a weather band that won't break my budget. I was hoping not to spend over $150. What should I look for? Any other advice or help would be greatly appreciated! If anyone has pics, I'd also appreciate that!:D
usa_2005_chevrolettruck_silverado1500regularcab4wd_tru_2_x_inradio_x.jpg

make shure to talk to a stereo installer or dealer before you tear into the dash, you need some specific tools.

this topic was done a few weeks ago, lets see if i can rember how it went

magnum 257, am/fm/ssb no wx digital display. high power 10m
midland 79-290 am/ssb/wx digital display
uniden pro 510 am
cobra 19 dx IV am digital display

i would run anything but the midland. i know you want wx but that radio has had some serious issues. if you are in a secluded area make shure you have a weather beacon closebye otherwise you wont hear the weather or be of any importance to you.

if it were me i would mount the radio under the dash with someting different and mount a police scanner under the radio, than you have your wx and everything

I'm pretty handy with mobile electronics since I used to install systems and I've already been in that area of the dash, so that's not really a concern of mine. I was going for a clean installation since there happens to be room enough for a unit. I like your idea of running a scanner in there. That's something I didn't think of doing. I do have a handheld Cobra 45WX and a magnetic mount antenna, but I'm really not happy with the setup. Not enough power and it looks sloppy.

With the space you have i would go with the Magnum 257.Sure its more than a $150.00 but in the long run you would be better off,I mean think of it this way.If you go to the trouble of doing this install right using a little cheap radio after a while your going to want something a little better and more powerful and you will just have to tear out the little radio and start agian,so why not go ahead and do it right the first time around.You may want to make sure before you do this that you will not have any problems with rf from your cb,may cause your stereo to freak out,good luck!

radio idea

if al u really wanna spens is about $150 i would go with the midland 79-290 it has 10 wx band am ,fm,ssb , freq display , an detachable which would go great with your cd player if it has detachable face to they would match if u r concerned about how it looks . Ihave the 79-290 for what i paid ($150) it works realy good for my needs

As much as the Mag 257 is a favorite to some folks, it doesn't have the WX band that he desires so it doesn't really fit the bill. The Midland 79-290 will also give him extra channels (after the mod), has a cast heatsink on the rear, which is great for in-dash installs where heater ducts tend to warm things anyway, has the removable front panel assy. for theft deterrence, (and his new CD player may have that too), and the 79-290 will easily do 25-30 watts PEP after pk. & tune. What I'm wondering is how you will get the CB radio's sound to fire forward to hear it? Or will your CD player have an AUX input to run the audio throughout the sound system?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.