• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What would a period correct cb from 1970-1975 era?

If I had to choose a radio to represent that time it would have to be a Midland, they were probably a good part of why CB was, what it was... Midland 13-888 was quite a radio back in the day, or if you want something a bit smaller the 13-882C, both would be period correct, both are good performers if your actually going to use it. Cobra is also a good choice, 29 as was already mentioned...

Just with movies like Convoy, and hot ladies in Short-Shorts, Midland led the field in advertising.... LOL

And the answer is yes...When I go to car/truck shows I want it to displayed the period correct CB. I am going to look for the years 70-75. I need to keep in mind that whatever I get its got to be tunable. Again thanks guys-this is good info!

There were a few Pace radios which I didn't mind, though not my first choice.

As an "old guy" :LOL: who did alot with the hobby back-in-the-Day, I was lucky to have actually owned about 90% of the CB radios at one time or another, got to stick my fingers in them as well:p

I kinda liked the Robyn radios, they talked "OK", but typically had larger meters then average, and were very colorful..

As long as you are staying within that time period, you will do well to put a 1/4 wave steel whip antenna on that ride. Is that already part of your plan? That should do a fine job for whatever radio you decide upon and acquire...

And the answer is yes...When I go to car/truck shows I want it to displayed the period correct CB. I am going to look for the years 70-75. I need to keep in mind that whatever I get its got to be tunable. Again thanks guys-this is good info!

What do you mean by "tunable" ?

Yeah if your list tops out at '75, then it will be a 23 ch. fer sure.

I am trying to remember that Burt had a Pace in the Bandit. Somebody correct me if that's not right. I thought they were plain janes. Not a fancy radio. Check those magazine links posted above. Never did like any radios that had only two knobs and a channel selector. Me like more features.

What do you mean by "tunable" ?

Yeah if your list tops out at '75, then it will be a 23 ch. fer sure.

I am trying to remember that Burt had a Pace in the Bandit. Somebody correct me if that's not right. I thought they were plain janes. Not a fancy radio. Check those magazine links posted above. Never did like any radios that had only two knobs and a channel selector. Me like more features.

Tunable=fixable...
What ever radio I get I want to make it can be peaked/tuned or repaired if needed. I plan on using the CB when I travel to shows and meets. I may find out that I may want to go with a new radio...I am a guessing that few people will know if a radio is a 1970 or a 1978. Again all your thoughts and inputs are appreciated.

Hey TC,

Yeah every radio can be peaked-tuned. Anything "can be repaired." What you would have trouble finding is O.E.M. specific body parts or stuff like that.

Fortunately for your purpose the mid 70's was the height of the CB fad after the Smokey/Bandit movie. So tons of gear was produced and you see pretty much all of it on ebay. Those typical radios of the day, especially 23 channel models sell for CHEAP. Occasionally you will see ones in excellent if not mint condition. Those will cost a few more dollars but not that many more. You may not find exactly what you want in the condition you want on ebay this week...but it may show up next week. I cruise the CB category there all the time and they're usually loaded with these radios.

Good luck

Hey TC,

Yeah every radio can be peaked-tuned. Anything "can be repaired." What you would have trouble finding is O.E.M. specific body parts or stuff like that.

Fortunately for your purpose the mid 70's was the height of the CB fad after the Smokey/Bandit movie. So tons of gear was produced and you see pretty much all of it on ebay. Those typical radios of the day, especially 23 channel models sell for CHEAP. Occasionally you will see ones in excellent if not mint condition. Those will cost a few more dollars but not that many more. You may not find exactly what you want in the condition you want on ebay this week...but it may show up next week. I cruise the CB category there all the time and they're usually loaded with these radios.

Good luck

I agree...I am in no rush so I am taking my time. This forum is giving me a lot of great info to what to look for. I am looking at old CB Magazines that is avaliable on the internet and some of the names bring back a lot of good memories. At this point the radios that I am considering are Cobra, Tram, Browinng, and SBE but that is jubject to change as I do ore research. I forgot how many cb's were made and like some have said-somer very good radios and many were junk.

Look for a radio with an effective noise blanker.

Some of the Sears Roadtalkers had a pretty good one. So did some of the Couriers.

If you want simple, cheap and age correct take a look at the Sears SSB.

Sears AM/SSB 23 Channel CB Radio SIDEBAND - eBay (item 230419848350 end time Jan-10-10 15:55:50 PST)

That one is an example of what you can find for 20 bux. They are usually available for about that price. Try to get both the base and mobile power cords if you can. These also have a built-in base power supply but are not much larger than a normal mobile radio. Good sounding radios that work well. Screw peaking and tuning. that's a fool's game. Want a better signal? Use an amp.

Radio Shack marketed the same exact radio with a different layout. It cost something like $450.00 new.

Anybody who says to stay away from every Radio shack radio lives under a rock. Some of them were garbage and some were quite good.

Well. if your looking for something to actually practically use, Courier Spartan PLL, or Gladiator PLL, if you have room, Both are available in 23 and 40 channel versions, all four are Uniden 858 chassis SSB, all of them are good radios. You will not hear many debate that. Chassis is also a classic for various mods.

They are relatively easy to come by on FeeBay, 4 or 5 in the last month.

Soooo HiDef, your saying a PROPER alignment is a Fool's Game?

There's a big difference between an alignment and so called peaking and tuning.

I can show you a stack of 70s radios that are still working just fine with their factory alignment. Tube radios are not included though.

People buy brand new radios and take them in to be hacked. Why not buy something that works the way you want from the start?

Some folks just don't want or need to use an amp yet who wouldn't want their mobile to sound and get out the best it can? In this case, a proper peak and tune for maximum power and modulation while still clean and clear is a good thing and has been done since the beginning of time. If a particular radio is capable of peak to 7 watts dk and swinging to 20 with 100% modulation....then why not do it? Factory settings of 4 watts swing to 7 and 80% modulation don't get the job done very well.

There's a big difference between an alignment and so called peaking and tuning.

I can show you a stack of 70s radios that are still working just fine with their factory alignment. Tube radios are not included though.

People buy brand new radios and take them in to be hacked. Why not buy something that works the way you want from the start?

I'd say the actual difference is more then likely in the Tech doing the alignment, then the fact its being done.

Its pretty silly to state a 30+ year old radio cannot benefit from being serviced, regardless whether that service increases performance beyond factory specs. At the minimum the large majority of "70s" radios I've collected need to be brought back on Frequency.

I won't even try to guess the odds against the 70s radio even having survived without being molested. From my collection the majority seem to have been tuned for maximum carrier, and proper modulation of that carrier was an after-thought.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.