• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what would be a good used first oscilloscope

680MAINE

May 31, 2006
Now that I'm back home I'm getting back into the hobby. I'd like to expand my shack setup to include a oscilloscope so that as I tinker on craigslist/yard sale cobras and unidens I could put them on the scope to see how clean they are as well as checking amps as I would like to build more and tinker on yard sale finds as they come Accross my bench. What would be a good fairly cheap used oscilloscope for around $250 or less. I see a bunch on Craig's list and ebay, but don't know which to get. I see some listed as 20mhz and 30 MHz which one would I want if I was solely gonna tinker on older cb equipment. I'm assuming the 20mhz is that correct?

I'd recommend going 30 mhz or higher for CB work.

My suggestion is to get a Tektronix 465. Excellent oscilloscope, durable, easy to use, and versatile. It's what I use on the bench. Had mine for better than 15 years and it works great! Just make sure that you get a good probe for it, preferably one that's capable of 100 Mhz. You can generally find one of those in good shape for around or under your price range.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
I'd recommend going 30 mhz or higher for CB work.

My suggestion is to get a Tektronix 465. Excellent oscilloscope, durable, easy to use, and versatile. It's what I use on the bench. Had mine for better than 15 years and it works great! Just make sure that you get a good probe for it, preferably one that's capable of 100 Mhz. You can generally find one of those in good shape for around or under your price range.

~Cheers~

Yep.
Got one of those in trade for an Antron A99 antenna. Never know when one of these pop up. Like to get an HP somewhere/sometimel But the Tektronix is the better one. 100mhz/dual trace will definitely git 'er done . . .

Last edited:
What has been suggested before in earlier posts.

100mhz dual trace and at least 3 inputs, just in case you ever decide to get into buidling phased arrays.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.