• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what would be the better set up

Sidewinder357

Apr 3, 2009
which would be better stacked 7 maco vertical beams or maco super laser 500 ? i talk alot of local & some skip , we have alot of dead keyers around here would it be powerful enough with lil fire in the wire ? i want to build the altimate base station , suggestions ?

which would be better stacked 7 maco vertical beams or maco super laser 500 ? i talk alot of local & some skip , we have alot of dead keyers around here would it be powerful enough with lil fire in the wire ? i want to build the altimate base station , suggestions ?
The stacked 7's would out talk the Super laser. Make sure you have enough rotor to hold them in the wind and to be able to turn them also.

Not a good reason to buy the setup you have in mind. All of that and more will not stop the keyer and you probably still won't be able to hear your friends without calling them on the phone. If a keyer really wants to shut you down, he can just about stop you from hearing on your CB any time he wishes.

Little punks that like to key on others love to say, "...I made him stop cryin' and start buyin' and I still have his ear."

we have alot of dead keyers around here would it be powerful enough with lil fire in the wire ?

Great thing about dead keys is that its easy to talk over them by transmitting on SSB.
You just need an unlocked clarifier so you can match your transmit frequency to that of the carrier. And you need suprisingly little power to do it, and you can be heard on AM usually unless your over-powering the carrier.

But the jammer will get pissed when they find out, and start playing music or something.

Have you ever tried erecting and installing the Laser 500? Now imagine that difficulty times 3! Stacking creates a lot of extra windload, and chances are you'll also have to upgrade your tower setup to hold it.

... and to throw in another sort of 'dirty trick'. Stacking does not result in a 3 dB gain. More like half of that if everything is done correctly. ;)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.