• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Whats a brand new Texas Star 1600 worth

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Im heading out to pick one up here in a few minutes from a silent key friend of mines mother I been buying all his equipment and this Texas Star Im buying with some other items has the fan kit 4 gauge wire with anderson quick disconnects he never had the chance to install this he passed away 2 weeks before his jeep he was restoring was complete so it all untouched Im not sure Im going to keep this thing I may just sell it and get another all band HF amplifier Im not sure yet.

Been awile but I think new they are 700-800 bucks plus 75 for the fan kit. If it is as nice as you say it's probably worth 500-600 bucks used and in a tight economy. 400 would be a steal.

Ok Im home the fan kit has a clear or smoked colored plastic top with 4 fans and a cigarette lighter power cord for the fans mounting brackets and to my surprise a remote head unit was also in the box brand new never used as I said my buddy passed away 2 weeks before his jeep was complete theres thick wire with the anderson connectors with the amplifier in the box it was shipped in.

I picked up another 52 amp supply with astron power lugs and she through in a bunch of stuff like a maco 150 base preamplifier I need to research info on she had an entire table of microphones amplified and unamplified D104's along with turner shure I grabbed one mic and will pick the others up when I go back shes going to dig more out for me a bigger unused jogunn beam for $300.00 and along with that shes throwing in a brand new ham 4 rotor.

I have to go back when we have more time we had to take the kids to the water park today so we were kind of in a hurry. Im guessing a minimum of 140 amps to run this 1600 depending on drive Im sure 50 in will give quite a punch out (y)

Ok I see something here that puzzles me. I see on the back opf the amplifier it has 1/4 inch jacks for the remote and fan kit but this fan kit has a cigarette lighter adapter with coiled cord so it needs a cig lighter unless I switch this to a 1/4 inch plug for power or make a cig lighter adapter power cord.

Anyone seen this before with these fan kits?

Last edited:
wire the fans to the 1/4 inch headphone type jack,then they plug into the amplifier.not sure if they would run full time or on demand .never had one of those amps befor ,but i have seen them with the fan kits plugged in befor.

will you be selling the 52 amp supply?is it a astron?or pyramid?

dx1600fankit.jpg

Its a Pyaramid but it has the metal Astron lugs because he had 3 of these hooked together for an amplifier and he was melting the plastic knobs and the poles (Terminals) of the original lugs from pyramid.

I was also thinking of piggy backing a few of these. If I were to try this amplifier out ide need probally 2 more for a total of 4 52 amp supplies.

Now the fan kit on this one has 4 fans mounted to a plastic cover and the fans are standard fans and there stagered. Theres a schematic in the box for the fan kit aswell as the remote head I believe. I seen there is a yellow fused lead along with a ground lead on the remote head so I imagind the remote head needs to be hooked to a power source aswell.

I think its probally my best bet to sell this and get another 110V amateur amplifier I been looking for power supplies and figuring how the hell Ide run this and Im still at a dead end with it.

I dont think I want an unregulated power supply and I dont think anyone makes them regulated so I dont know if Ill beable to even try the thing out LMAO!! I have a few supplies 2 52 ampers which are the same brand and ETA 88 amp but mixing and matching supplies is saidf to be not the the best thing to do. I have other supplies as well 30 35 20 25 still doesnt help though.

Well now Im faced with a decission store it in the rdio closets sell it or keep researching for power supplies :confused:

Yeah I had one of those a long time ago just to play with it. To power it I had six marine deep cell batteries in the back of my truck.

I had to charge it with a plug-in charger.

If I wanted to keep it, I would have had to have a whole separate charge system for the deep cell batteries. I didn't want to bother with that at the time and it was a 4cyl truck so adding an alternator big enough would have sucked the power out of that motor.

It also caused a hellacious amount of interference from the RF field it put out. Set off alarm systems, open garage doors etc.

Yupp I know what your saying as far as running something like this out of a vehicle. I was looking to run it out of my house into a few different antennas beams and verticals I thought it would make a nice 10-12 meter amplifier until this issue of power supply came in to play :headbang

For what you can sell that for, you can get a 3-500Z based tube amp that will run much more easily on house current and will have a lot cleaner signal too. AL-80B, AL-82 come to mind. 3-500ZG's are nice tubes. Very rugged and relatively cheap. You pretty much have to intentionally kill them.

Well maybe not dollar for dollar, but that amp will put you a bit more than halfway to a used AL-80B if you are patient.

Yeah I was just looking at those 80B amplifiers again today I like my Ameritrons thats forsure the tube and my solidstate. I was telling my wife we sure get more use out of our amateur amplifiers than these 10-12 meter amplifiers. I dont even know why I have so many of them.

Ill have to see if I just sell this one or trade someone for a equally nice shape Ameritron or Amateur amplifier like I said this thing is brand new in the box with everything remote kit fan kit ETC so Ide have to becareful of what Ide trade it for theres alot of beat to $h!+ junk out there if ones not careful

my buddie uses a sweet sixteen from everything from 10 meters all the way down to 80meters so. It was all he could find for something that would do legal limit on HF for the mobile. which is where he spends most of his time. So i would try it on the lower bands tony give it a shot let us know. your hf rig will drive it to full capacity just fine they usually recommend a dx250 or 350 for a driver for these amps. so 100 watts should do fine unless you have a 200 watt radio.
kb1

My mobile (I have one on the base too) TS-480HX works perfect with my sweet 16. Disabled the "sniffer" circuit and modified the "remote" plug on the amp to a "relay" line so my 480HX controls the keying. Independent drive and modulation settings for AM and SSB and control amp (on/off) via relay control setting in radio. Excellent input SWR across bands; the lower the frequency, the higher the output from 10 to 40 meters. 1/2 wave length (10m, adjusted for VF) LMR-400 patch cables through out. On SSB @ 10 meters, it pins a 1KW bird slug with 150 PEP in; On 40 meters, it is over 1200w.

With compression on, it is a real modulation monster on AM. Not up to plate standards, but definitely the best sounding AM of any solid state ham rig I have ever heard or owned.

Here are some pics:

Sweet 16 w/ fan kit and Anderson 175A quick disconnects, 2 AGM Bats and 1/0 wiring in truck box.
TSSweet16andbats.jpg

Main unit under passenger seat - fed with 4 gauge welding wire, chassis grounding strap, LMR-400 connected to Ant#1, relay line back to amp.
TS-480HXmainunittop.jpg

Shielded TP CAT5 w/ ferrite to microphone, head unit connection, and DIN plug relay line
TS-480HXmainunitfront.jpg

the "brains"
TS-480HXheadunitondash.jpg

Rat Shack NC mic rewired with shielded TP CAT5 supplying +8v from radio (eliminate battery) and common ground (via shield drain) with radio chassis.
RealisticNoisecancelingpowermic.jpg

on 10m with a Predator 12" shaft dual coil, Predator stud into a Workman 90 degree so-239, quad mag mount
Predator10K12inchdualandmount.jpg

In short, the TS-480HX works very well with the sweet 16. Just my .02...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.