• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Whats a president washington worth?

cjruger

Aug 13, 2012
I see one on craigslist and it is doc tuned( from buffalo) with extra channels. Just curious what it is worth if as advertised

Personally, I'd pay 100 bucks for a nice one, especially considering it was tuned by Doc. It's a bonus if you get a nice desk mic included. But that's just me!

RT307

Local operator bought a Cobra 142GTL at the Hamfest a couple of months ago. Paid $10 for it, IIRC. Same radio as a President Washington or a Grant; single conversion receiver. He brought it over to me so I gave it some minor repairs and a complete alignment. Sounds fantastic in either RX or TX now - to my ear.

What is it worth? Whatever you can get it for and know what is wrong with it before you do. In decent shape with a fresh alignment, I guess $125 would be fair. But if it needs TLC; then it should sell for less. Depends on the amount it needs to be functional and what it cost to get there . . .

FWIW...
I got an Uniden Washington a couple of years ago for $75. It was "peaked and tuned" already but no extra channels. The radio works well but the on / off volume control is a little scratchy sounding and the volume coming out of the speaker would go lower if I bumped my desk. I had the guy I bought it from look at but he was unable to duplicate the problem. After using it regularly though that issue went away.

I got a President Washington and a President Dwight in a package deal ($40) off of Craigslist. However that Washington was dropped on it's face and needs several potentiometers replaced. Both of these radios have had the extra channels mods but some of the wires on the Washington are not connected to the board. This Washington would make popping noises, out of the speaker, when I tested it at the house.

The "President" Washington ready is definitely an older version than the "Uniden" Washington and has a different board on the inside. But you probably already knew that. :) As for on air reports locals said the Cobra 89XLR sounded better than the Uniden President CB. That radio was also purchased from the same person.

The guy I bought my Uniden Washington from had another one listed for $75 earlier this year. I just checked Craigslist again and someone else is selling a President Washington for $75.

I've seen Washingtons sell anywhere from $60 to $150, and I once sold a used one for $200.

Honestly, I believe that the worth would go down after mods have been done. Especially a channel mod. I will be selling one myself that I fixed up. I got it for $25 because the guy couldn't get it to power up. The channel selector was shorting out the circuit enough to mimmic a total power problem. The only mod I ever think about doing is the clarifier. Not that they matter. People will tune to you if you are off freqs. But some swear by them. Channel mods are easy to do and some people get a little squirrelly about having the extra channels. So if they want the extra channels, I let them do it. But the one you are looking at, is say $100 IF its in overall good shape (LEDs, bulbs, switches, updated caps, etc).

president washington

well 40-60 bucks if that.
I cant even justify it being worth more than that mods or not.
u buy that for 125 for maybe 50 bucks more u could buy
a nice rci or galaxy that's loaded with bands and places to talk..
these prices I see for cobra 2000, and cobra 1000, uniden madisons
and washingtons are crazy.
ebay is the worst place to buy a radio from. most of the radios
that do sell for crazy prices most of the sellers have had their pals
bid them up to lure in guys who want it so bad and have to have it.
last month I saw a robyn t240 d go for close to 400 bucks..
that is nuts.. who is that guy gonna talk too the truckers on 4 watts. lol
best bet save ur money if u cant get it cheap and cheap is
no more than 20 bucks than don't buy it. unless u just have to it
and cant live without it..

well 40-60 bucks if that.
I cant even justify it being worth more than that mods or not.
u buy that for 125 for maybe 50 bucks more u could buy
a nice rci or galaxy that's loaded with bands and places to talk..
these prices I see for cobra 2000, and cobra 1000, uniden madisons
and washingtons are crazy.
ebay is the worst place to buy a radio from. most of the radios
that do sell for crazy prices most of the sellers have had their pals
bid them up to lure in guys who want it so bad and have to have it.
last month I saw a robyn t240 d go for close to 400 bucks..
that is nuts.. who is that guy gonna talk too the truckers on 4 watts. lol
best bet save ur money if u cant get it cheap and cheap is
no more than 20 bucks than don't buy it. unless u just have to it
and cant live without it..

it is more to the old radios than this . they have better channel rejection and do not drift on freq and are crystal clear on receive and transmit. you do not have all the static coming in on receive. infact sometimes you think the radio is not working and it is just quiet when I turn on a galaxy or same type radio it will have a lot of noise in the receive that the old radios will not have and you can hear people on them you do not hear on the noisy newer radios. if you have a good say washington with a 858 PLL it has loads of channels and is so quiet it is a pleasure to listen to it. mine does 25 watts on AM and about 30 on SSB. this is plenty of power to talk on. if I want to run power all you have to do is put a amp on them.

my self I would buy a cobra 142 gtl and a tune up with a super talk mod and a d104 mic and run it with a 2 pill that is my set up with a imax 2k I can talk world wide all most the washingtion is just a ok radio to me for about the same price or a few bucks more you can get the 142 and have a lot more radio

The first radio I ever owned was a Uniden Washington. Great radio. Talked alot of skip barefoot with a PDL-2 at 30 ft. Never should have sold it. For a clean 9 to 10 and was ready to plug and play About 125.00 I would pay. Yhey were that new LOL

Last time I had a President Washington in my hand it was worth $1.

That and the rate of inflation might buy you a cup of coffee.

Around here, a radio like the Cobra 142/Uniden Washington (they have the exact same board in them, same radio) I usually sell for $100.00 to $125.00 in good condition with all the mods, and I can't keep them in the shop... they sell like hotcakes. The President Washingtons with the D858 chassis in them fetch a little more, up towards $150.00.

It really depends on what you want, and how much you're willing to pay. A Doc tuned Washington in good shape isn't out of line at $125.00, IMO.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.