• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's the Difference

The 80 meter rotatable dipole has to be shortened by loading coils which will be less efficient than a full sized dipole. Being rotatable will help get you out of the nulls or dead spots that a flat dipole has but a inverted v has a fairly good omni pattern as long as its up high enough and the ends are not dropped to sharply. I wouldn't think a rotatable dipole for 80 meters would not be worth the time and investment. 20 thru 6 meters would be better with a full 1/2 wave length element.

Jonbah

shoemaker,
The quick-n-dirty answer is that there isn't all that much difference, other than changing the direction of the 'nulls' (directions of less signal). If the height is close to 1/2 to 1 wave length above ground, I'd love to have the rotatable dipole. Otherwise, two wire dipoles oriented 90 degrees to each other would do about the same thing, almost. I can afford a lot more wire than tower/rotor/etc....
- 'Doc

(The bad part of that is that I don't have the room.)

PS - 'Shoemaker' = Cobbler = 'COB'. Except people might think it really means "Crochity Old B _ _ _ _ _ d"... oh well, forget it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.