• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where is your 'Sweet Spot'

KOBO

Wood Butcher
By Sweet Spot I mean, when you're mobile, do you find one place that just gives you a better chance of making DX contacts than others?

I seem to have the best luck on a bridge over the CT river; no surprise I know; I regularly see guys hanging out at night in the break down lane on some local bridges, but this particular sweet spot is in the left lane, 2 car lengths from the end of the bridge; not exactly a place I can just set and play (no break down lane on this bridge).

K

I have had no trouble making contacts from just about anywhere, driving through neighbourhoods, on the highway, parked at the market. There really no sweet spot when it come to dx, at least in my case.

Reactions: 3 people
My sweet spot?? A comfy seat, good radio and an awesome antenna system. Oh, maybe a bevvie or two close by as well.
Right now it's my GMC Sierra with a SS whip tuned to 28.455 and hopefully by Saturday a TS 480HX.

Reactions: 2 people
MY sweet spot is kicked back in the recliner, working pile ups on the Mosley PRO67B and a glass of iced tea, notebook paper and a pen that does not run out of ink.

And in the last few years a pair of glasses to see what the heck call sign I just wrote down:)

Reactions: 2 people
By Sweet Spot I mean, when you're mobile, do you find one place that just gives you a better chance of making DX contacts than others?

I seem to have the best luck on a bridge over the CT river; no surprise I know; I regularly see guys hanging out at night in the break down lane on some local bridges, but this particular sweet spot is in the left lane, 2 car lengths from the end of the bridge; not exactly a place I can just set and play (no break down lane on this bridge).

K

That is axactly how it is even if you run power. I have worked graveyard security jobs for years, bridge overpasses, hills, and parking garages are great. When your in a large parking lot you can drive around for a nice open spot at the crest of a slight rise and find a sweet spot. Sometimes driving ahead 50 feet will show a 2-3 S unit drop off. Just the way RF is I guess.

There is a local old timer that when ever he moves he gets an old AM radio and walks all around the yard of the new property. He looks for a spot that has less static and the best signal on a week AM radio station. He then mounts his tower there. Swears by it.

Reactions: 1 person
location definitely does make a difference. I park in this small gravel lot that is elevated on a gentle hill that overlooks a pond, and then another pond back behind across the road.
I've made contacts everytime i've tried dxing there. the receive is always a lot better. i can see the horizon in some directions.

If I want to make some serious DX I'll go to the SF Bay by the salt ponds.

But lately I haven't had the inclination.

I'll leave that to 4040.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.