• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

where to buy qubical quad spiders

Thanks captain kilowatt

What do you think a 4 element 10M would be if you had to guess the ohms? and what would you guess the resistance/capacitance to be?

you know the +/- J number

There is no reason why a four element quad when properly built cannot have a feedpoint impedance of 50 ohms.The great thing about quads is that the gain is affected very little by a change in element spacing but the impedance can vary considerably. This means you can adjust the element spacing to achieve a perfect match without affecting the gain very much.

also capitan,

I was using the ultimate guide to 11 meter cb antennas as a guide, do you know of a better one?

As for where to look for info, it's pretty hard to go wrong looking at L.B. Cebik's site. It may be info overload but he was a great authority on antenna theory. Cubical Quad Antennas Vols 1 & 2

I assume this The Ultimate Guide to 11 Meter CB Antennas
is what you were looking at? It's not a bad article actually. It covers pretty much everything specific to 11m.

Thanks for the input CK,

If I was to put those up for sale what do you think a reasonable price would be for the spider only?

also im gonna ad a small piece of round rod to the spider to allow one to use a strong-back to help support the boom if they are going for more than 4 elements.

Parts for Quads

CUBEX Homepage

This company has been around for many years...
Very well respected for materials and design...
Most models are hand built to your specs then shipped
Indiana not a good place for Quads though...weather just not very friendly to them...still performance wise the best antennas you can use...
GL
All the Best
BJ

Thanks for the input bj and hookedon6, I'm set up and ready to sell, guess I will now find out how many people want to build quads.

Thanks again

Rick

i have purchased the fiberglass rod from them, i didn't know they also make the spiders.

perhaps it is this person (also in ga too.)
QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 862126 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

No, I think I was mistaken. Max-Gain Systems does not sell the spiders. I was confusing them with Cubex. I looked at both sites so much in the past year while planning a few things I got confused which site sold what after a while. :blink::oops:

No, I think I was mistaken. Max-Gain Systems does not sell the spiders. I was confusing them with Cubex. I looked at both sites so much in the past year while planning a few things I got confused which site sold what after a while. :blink::oops:

Hey thanks for the correction, and thanks for the info its all been a great help.

So what do you think of the price on my site, I'm a big boy you can be honest, I'm not in this to make money, I want to make a GOOD QUALITY PRODUCT THAT WORKS.

Thanks again

Rick

The price seems to be inline with what other vendors (Cubex) are charging for their one piece aluminum spiders. The advantage of a one piece design is simply strength but then again I have no idea what your welding skills are like. I DO know a good weld when I see it, my father was a professional welder for many, many years. If the welds are strong and clean looking, nobody wants to spend good money for something that looks sloppy and has blobs of weld on it, then the prices are pretty much what would be expected I would think. I note that on your site you mention custom sizes available. The real test of prices would be a spider that will handle a 1.5 or 2.0 inch spreader and have the spider arms a foot long out from centre. That would make for a good 40m quad or a heavy duty 5 bander for 20m and up for those of us in ice prone areas. ;)

Yea that's why I put custom sizes available, for the guys that wanted to build something bigger, I personally tested the 10/11 meter band, which are about 6 foot fiberglass pieces total of 12 foot edge to edge, my tower is 50', we had a 45 mph wind gust the other day and the didn't really flex that much, I'm sure if someone was going to build a 40 M quad, they might have to move up to 1" or possible 1.25" tube.
the fiberglass tube that max gain makes is prety stiff stuff, I was very impressed.

I also have just ordered some 3/8" round aluminum solid rod, I plan put a piece of it at a 45 deg angle from the 2" piece to the 3/4 " piece so if someone wants to use a strong back the will have a attachment point. as soon as I get some made I will post those pictures on my site, anyways that's for the info, and we will see how this goes

Thanks again

Rick

The only drawback to placing a boom truss ( strong back?) attachment point on the spider hub is if the spider hub should rotate or loosen for any reason. Most guys install an eye bolt straight through the boom.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.