• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which antenna should i use?

Jul 2, 2010
Im looking for an antenna that can broadcast atleast 10-15 miles of my radio show im not sure what to use, will the dominator antenna do the job what kind of amplifier do i need to transmit such distance?:bdh:

AM broadcast stations generally use ground mounted verticals. The tower itself is the antenna. FM broadcast, you might find a 1/4 or 1/2 wave mounted up high works well. Keep in mind the FCC is going after unlicensed broadcast stations right and left. They just nailed one for 10,000.
Rich

Closer examination would quickly reveal that every single part used on the FM antenna other then a few nuts and bolts, are different from the CB antenna. You cannot clone the FM antenna with the parts from the CB antenna even if you had all the right tubing measurements. There are differences in the castings on both the upper and lower hubs as well as different materials required to manufacture the VHF gamma matching network and RF connections. It is interesting to note that Sirio does manufacture the FM antenna to the US designers specifications however, it is sold exclusively through that distributor. They are private production runs not available to other distributors.

Since Scott's motivation was to antagonize me as the designer, he discreetly did this with inaccurate info that he thought would only offend me and offer you no information to your question. To answer your question one would need to know several things. How many watts is the transmitter? How high will the antenna be above average terrain? What does the average terrain consist of in terms of natural and man made obstructions? Are there any other strong signals in your market area that are one channel above or below your frequency that could cause adjacent channel interference? Last, does the IP address of the first poster match that of the third?

I've used a .64 wave gp for several years and never heard or been heard beyond 30 miles at a height of 24', after installing the sirio lw-150 I heard and talked to a mobile 50+ miles away so if that doesn't prove the sigma style antenna has better performance I don't know what does.

Maybe 24' isn't optimal but it's my only option at this present location, your mileage may vary.

Im looking for an antenna that can broadcast atleast 10-15 miles of my radio show im not sure what to use, will the dominator antenna do the job what kind of amplifier do i need to transmit such distance?:bdh:

Most any 5/8's wave gp will perform at the distance you've stated and an amplifier should not be needed at that distance if you can get the antenna at least 25' to the base of the antenna.

Since Scott's motivation was to antagonize me as the designer, he discreetly did this with inaccurate info that he thought would only offend me and offer you no information to your question. To answer your question one would need to know several things. How many watts is the transmitter? How high will the antenna be above average terrain? What does the average terrain consist of in terms of natural and man made obstructions? Are there any other strong signals in your market area that are one channel above or below your frequency that could cause adjacent channel interference? Last, does the IP address of the first poster match that of the third?

I can answer that one for you. They are not even close. Neither the IP nor the ISP are even remotely the same.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.